PDA

View Full Version : Fridge part of frost-free fridge-freezer icing up?

rumpelstiltskin
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi,i have a 2 and a half year old N1B Candy frost free fridge-freezer.I may have(not sure)come home from my best mates funeral(a bit tipsy):D and left the fridge door very slightly open.This was last week,since then the fridge part of the fridge freezer just won't go back to normal?We've scraped off all the ice on the back wall of the fridge,this didn't help,switched off fridge-freezer and dried off back wall of fridge completely,still didn't help,tried every number setting on the thermostat dial right down to a fraction below No.1 and still no joy,the back wall of the fridge just keeps on freezing up!The freezer isn't affected at all incidentally.All the food in the fridge just goes completely frozen!To say it's a pain is an understatement!We have a 5 year free parts cover with Candy but it's £90 for a call out,even if someone can say what 'might' be wrong so we know where we stand,whether to try something to make it go back to normal or just cut our losses and get the engineer out,hope someone can help,thanks,Lee.

slingblade
05-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Empty it totally. Unplug it and leave both doors wide open for 24 hours then try it again.

chillin out
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
It sounds like the sensor has come off the back of the evaporator in the fridge section.

Turn the fridge freezer round and look at the back, on the back at the top left hand side you will see a cable going into the plastic covering the back. Now measure 5 inches from the top of the cabinet and then 5 inches from the left hand side......... now dig.

About 2 inches from the surface you will find the sensor inside a metal holder, check to make sure this is firmly pressed against the evaporator (you might find the tack welds have come off), so you might have to stick a little wedge in to push the sensor against the evap properly.

Now fill the hole you just made with expandable foam.

Leave overnight and all should be OK. with a bit of luck the sensor is actually working and not gone 'out of range'.

Chillin:) :)

Frostycold
06-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi
Try cleaning the door seal of the fridge part. In fridge freezers the fridge door is opened & closed much more often than the freezer resulting in more air changes. The magnetic door seal is there to form a vapour seal ie, to prevent air from entering the fridge.The door seal should be as airtight as possible. Get a clean cloth & rinse it out in warm water put some washing up liquid,undiluted, on the cloth & use it to clean both the door seal & the part of the cabinet that that it seals against. Hopefully this should solve your problem. You can test the efficiency of the seal by putting a cigarette paper eg "Rizzla" between the door seal & the cabinet. The paper should be difficult to remove with the door closed. You need to check the whole door in this way.
Hope this helps & saves you £90!!!!!!!!
Regards Frostycold

chillin out
06-10-2006, 09:11 PM
by putting a cigarette paper eg "Rizzla" between the door seal & the cabinet
I think you will find these are called "skins".
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skins

For example... Joe says to pete... "are you skinning up mate
or what? cos Im gasping for a toak here"

LOL

red_innocence66
14-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi guys,

We have the same problem with ours! I don't think we left the door open, though and the strange thing is, it's making an odd noise, like a motor struggling to work or something. I'm no expert but from what I can hear, I'm guessing the fan that keeps the air circulating is stuck? If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated... I had to defrost the lettuce last night...

Red :D

chillin out
15-01-2007, 01:17 AM
It sounds like the sensor has come off the back of the evaporator in the fridge section.

Turn the fridge freezer round and look at the back, on the back at the top left hand side you will see a cable going into the plastic covering the back. Now measure 5 inches from the top of the cabinet and then 5 inches from the left hand side......... now dig.

About 2 inches from the surface you will find the sensor inside a metal holder, check to make sure this is firmly pressed against the evaporator (you might find the tack welds have come off), so you might have to stick a little wedge in to push the sensor against the evap properly.

Now fill the hole you just made with expandable foam.

Leave overnight and all should be OK. with a bit of luck the sensor is actually working and not gone 'out of range'.

Sounds like the same thing, it is a very common problem with candys.

rcw52
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I have a 'similiar' problem as my fridge is freezing at the back but my freezer is also freezing at the back by the 'vent holes' ? which is causing the freezer part to gradually de-frost itself!!!!!!
any ideas on this would be most appreciative

chillin out
11-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Make?
Model?

Try defrosting it overnight (a full 24 hours really) and switch it back on after all ice has gone (even the ice behind the back panel).

Chillin:):)

Chunk
11-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Chillin out Now known as the CANDYMAN:D

rcw52
11-06-2008, 09:16 PM
the make and model are CANDY N1B

chillin out
11-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Chillin out Now known as the CANDYMAN:D
I've been called worse....lol

@rcw52, if you want to follow my instructions in my post at the top feel free, but be careful....

CANDYMAN:):)

candide
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a Candy CP2711F/9K fridge freezer and after finding the freezer food defrosted it looks like the seal on the freezer door is no longer sealing very well. The fridge seal doent look much better either.

I have found the seals on espares.com for about £21 each. But can anyone tell me how to fit these. There doesn't seem to be any screws on the inner door panel that grips the seal to the outer door panel (I hope that makes sense!)

Are they easy to fit?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Gerry.

lozenge
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I also have a Candy CP2711F (well, it sounds familiar - it's frost free anyway!), the seals seem fine on mine, but I am having a similar problem to a couple of the above threads in that my fridge becomes iced up at the back and my freezer is also icing up. I have used each temperature "number", but it seems to make no difference. I'm not so worried about the fridge as it only covers one small part of the corner, but the freezer is icing up badly at the top/front and this concerns me more! Should I follow Candyman's advice given above? Thanks

cent
16-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi all i'm new to this forum , just finding my way round but have a problem with a Kelvinator, I believe now candy frost free fridge.
The type is CM30
As above, the fridge part (upper) is freezing up on the back plate and will not defrost as it should, do you think I need a new thermostate, or perhaps a new fridge?
Any advice would be appreciated.

cent

captainoats
21-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi all, Have the similar problem with the Candy N1B so going to try all the options from Frostycold, Chillin Out, and Slingblade and will post back results. Thanks.

garwatts
24-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi all, Have the similar problem with the Candy N1B so going to try all the options from Frostycold, Chillin Out, and Slingblade and will post back results. Thanks.
Snap - it must be an epidemic;)

Do you have any lights on the front at all?

tb637
25-02-2010, 01:11 AM
follow instructions from chillin-out but when you find the sensor you have to change the head of it by cutting it off and strip back the two wires one red and one blue. you have to leave about 3 inches of wire on the new sensor to cut sensor head off and strip those two wires back. join the red together, same with blue. now replace back in it's holder and fill with expandable foam. be careful when digging not to go through fridge wall

Dazzel
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I have a Kelvinator KCI37a with exactly the same problem, does anyone happen to know if the evaporator sensor is in a similar position to the Candy?, Thanks