PDA

View Full Version : Pete the cool

Pete the cool
05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Hi everybody!
New to this site and being 63 yrs old ,I am to my computor what salt is to a slug.
I'm now working for myself as the whole company I worked for went belly up.

There's no doubt about it - the refrigeration game is so varied (one minute you're getting inside a packs' computerized brain system ,next minute you're mopping up water on the supermarket floor where the drain pipes broke) and the technology is changing rapidly, all the time -so information is the way to keep on top.

Just one question - whatever happened to flare spanners -I can't locate them at suppliers-they just went off the radar.
Salut!

Argus
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM

Welcome, Pete.

I think flare spanners that we are familiar with went west when they metricated the flare nut size.

No more the nice AF spanner that was nominally a half inch bigger than the pipe size. I have a box full of open ended ring spanners that I haven't used in almost 30 years, because they don't fit any more.

To be honest with you, I'd like to see the use of flares banned anyway..........

taz24
05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I To be honest with you, I'd like to see the use of flares banned anyway..........

.[/quote]

I agree flares are more or less redundent now what with brazed joints and that new euro fitting that is on he market. I've still got a set of flare spanners that I was given when I was an aprentice, many many moons ago. They are in the bottom of my second tool box. I keep this tool box for sentimental reasons mostly. It contains all my large tools that I used when working on the big stuff and somtimes rely on it when I get a stubbon component that won't play fair.
Cheers taz.

Brian_UK
05-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi and welcome Pete.

The last flare spanners I saw where in Halfords alongside the brake tube fitting kits, didn't check the sizes though, sorry.

monkey spanners
06-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi Pete
For flare nut wrenches try facom (any good tool shop) They have metric from 8mm to 41mm and good old imperial from 5/16 to 1 1/8.
They also do some very nice electical screwdrivers (borneo) for contactor/terminal screws, the type you can do up with a flat or posidrive, which have a cross between posi and flat or phillips and flat head to match the shape of the screw. Once done up with these it's near imposible to undo with an ordinary one:D

Cheers Jon

Josip
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi, Pete :)

welcome to RE

Best regards, Josip :)

Peter_1
09-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Hello,

A warm welcome from Belgium.

Don’t hesitate to ask any question and share your knowledge and experience with us.
This forum is read worldwide and you may expect a professional answer.

May I ask you to add also your location to the RE Members Map?
You can find it in the Green Top bar, the lower line.

If you post a question with the units you’re used to work with, place between brackets the other units. So if you normally work with SI units (bar, °C, m³/h..), place then between these units the proper IP units.

You can do the conversion with a free software program Uconeer
You can find it on http://www.katmarsoftware.com/uconeer.htm#download
Or you can use the spreadsheet of Dan posted on http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50617#post50617 post 6.

When you have a technical problem, try to post as many as possible readings you have made. You will see that we need many times condensing and evaporating pressure; discharge, suction, evaporator outlet and condenser outlet temperatures. Try to measure these very accurate.
The better you measure these, the better we can help you.

Note also band names, types of all the items installed in the installation.

I hope that you stay a long time with us and that you can contribute to expand this forum.

Peter

Pete the cool
21-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your helpful responses,especially the screwdriver for contactor screws,they are practically impossible to tighten-and when yu do they need another half turn 15 minutes later.
My daughters banned me from using their computors -I'm always wiping out memory banks. They should have seen me when I was working on packs with Radford controls.
When I've worked out how to navigate my way through all this threads stuff I'll be more communicative.
Re flares - my son in law can tighten them so tight they are welded,consequently I carry a 48" Stilson if I have to follow him.
Anybody worked out in Oman?
Mazeltov Pete the cool