PDA

View Full Version : Aircon standyby power

laz0r
04-10-2006, 06:59 AM
I have a mitsubishi air con unit. Model MSZ-A18 YV.
It works fine, i've just noticed that when it has been turned off (standby that is) the outdoor unit still draws about 0.6 - 0.7 amps.
This is at 230V so it equals about 138 watts.
Thought this is quite a bit of power to be using for something that is doing nothing.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is??

Cheers in advance.

nicolacozma
04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi

I can tell you that for inverter AC system generally there isn't (for small inverter AC system) an external electrical resistance that heating the crankcase of the compressor (in instance the oil).
For inverter AC system to mantain a certain temperature of the oil the inverter works in open phase. This means that inverter power module injected a certain amount of current between two phases of the compressor. Third phase of compressor are opened.
The compressor are heating in this way until discharge temperature sensor reach 30 degree or something like that, after that the inverter shutt off. There is an DT after that the inverter turn on to heat the compressor.
For Daikin 9000BTU AC system the heating load of compressor is 40W. I suppose that in your case for 18000BTU it is quite real and normal your consumption.
This behavior of inverter AC are valid in stand-by mode.

Best regards,
Nicola

laz0r
05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Cheers for that info.
To me it still seems quite high, although i don't really know much about air con.
Are there general figures for air con units standby power consumption around on the net?
Can anyone else verify that this is normal?

Brian_UK
05-10-2006, 07:24 PM
You could always contact Mitsi through one of their websites for additional information.

nicolacozma
06-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi,

If you give me your email, i can send you Technical&Service Manual for your MSZ, and perhaps you will find out more detail useful.

laz0r
07-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Yeah if you could email the manual to laz0r@hotmail.com that would be great.

Cheers

laz0r
07-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Actually my hotmail account probably won't receive large files so try adam@xnet.co.nz