PDA

View Full Version : currently employed, want to become qualified

neilhuxley
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Im currently employed in the refrigeration trade, My main work is new installations and covering the odd break downs. Ive only just come to light on the whole you need safe handling course (2078) which you need.
Now ive been taught by a few blokes and im hoping ive been taught correctly. Im just wondering what is involved in this course? Could anyone give me some examples of whats expected to pass the exam. Is there any practical side ( brazing piping wiring) involved

Brian_UK
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Neil,

2078 refers only to the safe handling side of the work, you should have explained to you the causes and effect of refrigerant leakage on the world in general and what you can and should be doing to prevent it.

It is expected that you can show how to recover refrigerant and how to charge refrigerant in a practical test.

The CITB course is more crictical of your knowledge regarding the correct operation of your plant.

Either one you should be able to pass if you are and feel confident and capable.

It will be a legal requirement so the sooner you get your 'ticket' the better for you.

neilhuxley
04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
so pretty simple, This CITB course sounds more what i should be doing, As for needing qualifications nowadays. How do some refrigeration engineers come off for electrical work, myself have completed my city and guilds 236 part 1 &2 and nvq level 3, but all these regualtions now. It seems you cant even change a simple contactor. Or is there a difference with fixed equipment to non etc?

taz24
04-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Gas handling quals is a must now and a lot of sites require engineers to hold the skill card. To gain a skill card you need a minimum qual of NVQ level 2 in fridge / air conditioning. The new F gas requirements may dictate that a level 3 is the minimum required for inspection of plant.

frank
04-10-2006, 09:22 PM
To gain a skill card you need a minimum qual of NVQ level 2 in fridge / air conditioning.

A clear mis-guided quote.

You can obtain a Skillcard no matter what your experience/qualification but the level of card is dictated by your qualifications. http://www.skillcard.org.uk/

Even persons with no qualifications can get a Skillcard - it just says what level of qualifications you have (even NONE) and that you have passed the basic safety test.

Brian_UK
04-10-2006, 11:16 PM
You can obtain a Skillcard no matter what your experience/qualification but the level of card is dictated by your qualifications....and you've paid the fee :rolleyes:

taz24
05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
A clear mis-guided quote.

You can obtain a Skillcard no matter what your experience/qualification but the level of card is dictated by your qualifications.

Even persons with no qualifications can get a Skillcard - it just says what level of qualifications you have (even NONE) and that you have passed the basic safety test.

Copied from their site.

<LI class=bodytext>Skilled worker with NVQ/SVQ Level 2 (Blue card) or Level 3 (Gold card);
Skilled worker with an indentured apprenticeship (Gold card);
Skilled worker with an informal apprenticeship and a City and Guilds craft certificate appropriate to your trade (Blue card);
Skilled worker with an informal apprenticeship and a City and Guilds advanced craft certificate appropriate to your trade (Gold card);
Skilled worker without recognised trade qualifications but able to satisfy the conditions of Industry Accreditation – provided this is done before the closure of Industry Accreditation for your occupation (Blue Card)
Skilled worker without recognised trade qualifications but able to satisfy the conditions of the Experienced Worker card – because the opportunity for Industry Accreditation has closed for your occupation (Blue Experienced Worker card) – see Blue (Experienced Worker) CardYes you can obtain a skill card for a non skilled level but what good would that do you if you need to work on the site. athey will not let you work on site with a visitors card to work or with the unskilled card. Grandad status for skilled experienced but no qual engineers ran out in Jan 2006.

taz.

taz24
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
[quote=frank;51176]A clear mis-guided quote.

Why is it miss giuded.
A skill card of any use must now by backed up with a level 2.

Cheers taz.

frank
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
[quote=frank;51176]A clear mis-guided quote.

Why is it miss giuded.
A skill card of any use must now by backed up with a level 2.

Cheers taz.

I agree with this, at least an NVQ Level 2, but your original statement was quite different.

taz24
05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
ok sorry. I was trying to relate to both subjects with the one statement and I did not explain my self well.
Cheers taz.