PDA

View Full Version : Any results from leak fix solution?

H-MAN-HIMSELF
02-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Has anybody ever tried leak fix on a cap tube system and if so what were the results?

Karl Hofmann
02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
is that the crap in a can leak fix that you're asking about?

H-MAN-HIMSELF
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
yep thats the stuff, I would never run that stuff through my systems, but sometimes you get a little 20 year old reach in cooler that you just cant find a leak in. CC ****son sells the stuff so I was just wodering if anybody had any luck with it. And if so I might use it to fix a little peice of junk i've been working on.

Karl Hofmann
05-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Only used that stuff on automotive ac as a semi controlled experiment......Conclusion fix it properly and save your cash.

Dan
05-10-2006, 02:15 AM
I have had no luck with it. Tried it in an auto.

Karl Hofmann
06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Ha! The only place it plugs up is the recovery equipment, drier and internal guts if the system is left open for any length of time. And no, once set it cant be removed :mad:

Tycho
07-10-2006, 08:42 AM
one of our engineers just used it on a provision plant that used 15kg (33 pounds) of ***** every two-three months. pressure teasted and leak seaking seaking several times, and the engineers onboard leak seaking it once a week without finding any leaks...

will let you know how it goes.

weeksy
07-10-2006, 11:07 AM
If your pouring 15Kgs of gas into it every couple months, maybe you should consider a better leak-testing approach....Maybe consider using a U.V dye system.

Is it not illegal to add gas to a leaking system in Norway. :cool:

Tycho
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
If your pouring 15Kgs of gas into it every couple months, maybe you should consider a better leak-testing approach....Maybe consider using a U.V dye system.

Is it not illegal to add gas to a leaking system in Norway. :cool:

Nope, it's not illegal :)

Do the math, 15 Kg in 30 days it's a tiny tiny tiny leak.

we tore down half the ship last time to get to the pipes, nothing, not a trace...

pressure test and leak seeking is fine, vacuum is fine, steady vacuum for 12 hours during the drop test...

if you can do better, feel free to come on over :D

US Iceman
08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Tycho,

I've experienced something like this in the past. Sometimes the leaks are just about impossible to find.

Have you noticed any slight oil spots around the equipment (especially around the compressor)?

I've seen some leaks that could only be found by slight oil stains around joints (threaded joints for cap tube fittings or other similar evil devices).

On ammonia systems it can be just as frustrating. YEs, I know we can smell the ammonia, but if the leak is around water these can be just as much fun to find.

topcool
10-10-2006, 12:03 AM
hi what do we think of chigo ac units or blue crown thanks guys

taz24
10-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Nope, it's not illegal :)

Do the math, 15 Kg in 30 days it's a tiny tiny tiny leak.

500g a day is a huge leak. If you have a system that has 500g in it. That size leak would mean you loose one dumpy every 20 days. That is a hugh leak by my standards.
Cheers taz.

paddyaircon
25-04-2007, 07:18 PM
crank up the nitrogen and see what blows !!!!
( DO NOT TRY WAS JOKING)

wombat
21-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Speaking of hard to find leaks, I found one today on a 1/2" liquid line for a reverse cycle split system A/C. Using nitro, detected the leak from the ends of the pipe insulation. Removed a length of insulation to find a tiny hole where the pipe was pitted from corrosion?

Tony
21-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Has no-one got to using HELIUM for doing leak tests on systems where leaks are hard to find, instead of OFN?

setrad7791
21-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Is the equipment open drive /semi hermetic or sealed?

setrad7791
21-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Helium......? why would you want to use it???

DVaider
22-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Has no-one got to using HELIUM for doing leak tests on systems where leaks are hard to find, instead of OFN?

I've heard something about it. But this method is so expensive, cause you should use special helium "leak-finder".

marc5180
23-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Helium......? why would you want to use it???
Because helium have smaller particles than nitrogen and it is suppose to be better for detecting leaks but it is a lot more expensive.

sterl
30-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Helium leaks through gaps where nothing else but hydrogen would go...And your standard electronic sniffer is not going to find either Hydrogen or Nitrogen.

AND

ultrasound will find a leak excpet where 1) ambient noise really overwhelming or 2)leak point buried under rigid and sound dampening types of insulation. May take a little continued disassembly to get right to the leak point, particularly if something like a Shell and Tube Evap is involved.