PDA

View Full Version : The Presidents address

Steve
05-03-2001, 09:28 PM
Not George Bush but John Ellis president of the BRA (British Refrigeration Association). Who in this years address stated how important training and apprentices are to the industry.

What is it like in your company.......good.......bad........indifferent..?

What do you think the industry should be doing to get its house in order.......if anything..?

subzero*psia
06-03-2001, 09:39 PM
Stop hiring off the street. Hire from valid institutions and pay them what they are worth. Not everybody has the aptitude to do this work. I also think there are to many design engineers, not enough service engineers... everybody wants to sit at a desk and get the big bucks. It should be the other way around.

Perhaps start out with a high enough wage in the beginning that the tech could SAVE a sizeable portion into a retirement account... then as the tech becomes physically disabled (deteriorated knee caps etc. LOL!) he could graduate to a desk job and design equipment (he would be happy to work for less since he has so many debilitating injuries!) ;) Just kidding!! But techs (techs with formal training) definitely should be paid much more than they are now.

slloyd
11-03-2001, 04:23 PM
Having trained for 5 years in a apprentichip programme this was undoultably a solid grounding for career progression. Im very sad to say i no longer know of any North wales company giving young kids a chance to learn a decent and interesting trade, do you think its due to lack of goverment funding, or are we a dying race.If it continues as i is perhaps in years to come we will enter a transfer market with signing on fees etc tying us to a contract with a prospective employer. NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
11-03-2001, 08:54 PM
I believe there are a number of commercial companies in the UK paying a loyalty bonus to engineers if they stay for a set number of years.

A good idea.....

Tony
07-05-2001, 10:15 AM
John Ellis as president of the BRA states that the industry needs training.

Is that quality training?

Does that still apply to him as a training provider?

Steve
07-05-2001, 11:15 AM
Does that still apply to him as a training provider?

Have you experianced John's Training before? I did my 2077 ref handling in his horsebox many moons ago, thought he was very good.

slloyd
08-05-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by subzero*psia
Stop hiring off the street. Hire from valid institutions and pay them what they are worth. Not everybody has the aptitude to do this work. I also think there are to many design engineers, not enough service engineers... everybody wants to sit at a desk and get the big bucks. It should be the other way around.

Perhaps start out with a high enough wage in the beginning that the tech could SAVE a sizeable portion into a retirement account... then as the tech becomes physically disabled (deteriorated knee caps etc. LOL!) he could graduate to a desk job and design equipment (he would be happy to work for less since he has so many debilitating injuries!) ;) Just kidding!! But techs (techs with formal training) definitely should be paid much more than they are now. "Just a pity other people didnt take this approach" good ethics sub zero!!