PDA

View Full Version : cleaning pipes with rubbing alcohol?

star882
25-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Is it OK to clean refrigeration plumbing using rubbing alcohol? (I have some copper tubing that I'm going to use for my first time phase change CPU cooler and I would like to know if I can use what I already have. The tubing is old and probably dirty.)

winfred.dela
26-09-2006, 01:58 AM
We have not done that. . .
Maybe because in our part of the world alcohol is expensive.

We just use a clean cloth tie it with a GI wire and run it inside the pipe.
We do this with used as well as brand new copper pipes.
BTW what's your pipe size? is it hard drawn or soft drawn?

star882
26-09-2006, 02:54 AM
It's 1/4" and relatively flexible.

Paulajayne
27-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi

Gentle use some fine steel wool.

Paula

refteach
27-09-2006, 05:24 PM
The steel wool may not be the best thing to use to clean out copper tubing, the wool will break appart as it is used and will result in pieces being embeded in the tubing resulting in dissimilar metal corrosion later. While other pieces will find their way into the compressor. Alcohol should be okay, use it with pipe cleaners and make sure tubing is dry. If it is questionable, just go with new tubing so you dont have to worry about it.

JPJ
28-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Depends on how much pipe you have either flush the pipe with shellite (wich will evaporate) or blow it out with dry nitro and seal up one end and vac it out to ensure it is completely cleane and moisture free.

Paulajayne
29-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi
The steel wool suggestion was only for the outside (to make it look pretty) -

Paula

refteach
29-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Have to be careful with dissimilar metals, when there is a potential for the surface to get wet there could be problems. It would be better to use scotchbrite, same thing but at plastic.