PDA

View Full Version : Some refrigerant history

US Iceman
23-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I thought this may be of some interest to other members. Some very good information, but a little hard to read due to the large paragraph format.

http://bama.ua.edu/~chem/seminars/student_seminars/spring03/papers-s03/lawrence-s03.pdf#search=%22Sulfur%20Dioxide%20refrigeration%22

Andy P
24-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks Iceman - very interesting. I think the Aussies like to claim William Harrison as one of their own, as he emigrated to Oz in his early 20s and did his refrigeration in Geelong, but I guess the Scots get the blame for his deficient education! Another emigrant Scot, David Boyle, went to the US and built the first ammonia compressor in Texas in 1872, two years before Linde. However he wasn't as good as Linde at science or business - so only produced 400 compressors over a ten year period before his company folded.

cheers
Andy P

US Iceman
24-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi Andy,

I think the Scots made up for the situation with Howden. The worlds first oil injected screw compressor, right?

Andy P
29-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi Iceman,

So I hear, but before my time:D

If you like slightly (?!) offbeat history then visit

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/POWER/ammonia/ammonia.htm

for an insight into how not to do it. The rest of the site is pretty funny too

cheers
Andy P

US Iceman
29-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Andy,

I've seen something on these devices before. An absorber to produce work. Seems fairly similar to the Sterling engine principles.

I did read something I continue to see concerning ammonia. Once again, it (ammonia) has been labeled poisonous and explosive.:(

One of the ideas about using solar powered ammonia systems to generate work for the well pump is interesting. I have heard someone has been investigating a similar principle to generate electricity through the use of an expander driven turbine. I wish them well on the project.:)

I just love to hear about the history of ammonia related inventions. As you say, they were before my time too.:D