PDA

View Full Version : Compressor pumping oil

Peter_1
19-09-2006, 12:57 PM
What can be the different reasons for a compressor (DLSGB 301-Copeland semi-hermetic machine, so splash lubrication) pumping excessive oil through it's discharge where it had functioned in the past very well (+/- 8 years) ?
Working parameters are the same as with the initial startup.
Refrigerant: ethylene, evaporating at -100°C (-148°F) and condensing at -40°C (-40°F)
No liquid slugging, SH around 40K.
Capillary blocks due to excessive oil flowing through it.

Renato RR
19-09-2006, 01:55 PM
What about oil presure diferential.3 bar or les?Temperature on valve plate ok or?

Renato

Peter_1
19-09-2006, 05:19 PM
There's no oil pump --> splash lubrication, so no oil differential.
Oil is in the sump at cranckcase pressure which is +/- evaporating pressure.
Discharge pressure and temperatures are the same as in the past.

refteach
19-09-2006, 07:55 PM
After that many years of use the rings could be worn and there may be no cross hatching left on the cylinders. You probably just have to hone the cylinders and install new rings.

chillin out
19-09-2006, 10:32 PM
As oil has a 'lifetime' have you changed the oil in the system?

And if you have are you sure the correct oil was put back in?

Chillin:) :)

Dan
20-09-2006, 02:58 AM
What can be the different reasons for a compressor (DLSGB 301-Copeland semi-hermetic machine, so splash lubrication) pumping excessive oil through it's discharge where it had functioned in the past very well (+/- 8 years) ?
Working parameters are the same as with the initial startup.
Refrigerant: ethylene, evaporating at -100°C (-148°F) and condensing at -40°C (-40°F)
No liquid slugging, SH around 40K.
Capillary blocks due to excessive oil flowing through it.

You are making an assumption, Peter. That the capillary is blocked due to excessive oil flowing through it. I would question this assumption.

Have you changed the capillary and found the problem to repeat itself?

Always go back to your last repair. Did you have an issue that involved internal changes such as refrigerant or oil previous to having this problem?

Piston or cylinder wear could contribute to increased oil flow, I suppose. But flow is flow. What circulates is what is in the system. I would think if the compressor is pumping the oil so quickly as to affect the capillary tubing feed, that this would happen quickly. Is this the case?

Knowing you, you will find out the problem. I hope you share it with us.

:)