PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Valves

Mukesh
17-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi,
I would like to place one question does expansion valve function differe on the use of different gases for example system working on R22 and would to switch to R404 please do advice for the expansion of the gases

chillin out
17-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Every gas has it's own valve.

They are all labeled as such.

Chillin:) :)

LRAC
17-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Chillin out is right,but in an emergency you can use a R22 valve to get you back up and running but only until the correct valve is available.

The Saint
18-09-2006, 12:31 PM
All refrigerants have different properties. You need to size up expansion valve based on capacity, refrigerant charge, pressure drop, and fitting sizes.

Samarjit Sen
18-09-2006, 01:25 PM
The capacity of the Expansion Valves are based on the properties of the refrigerant being used. Since the properties varies for different refrigerants, you have to use the Expansion Valve specifically designed for that particular refrigerant.

An expansion valve designed for R 22 will not function with R 404A. So please do not try this. The bulb of the expansion valve will not be able to operate with a different refrigerant due to which the valve will become inoperative.

If you want a detail information on TEV application and working, please send me your e mail address. I tried to upload on this post, but the forum"s capacity is limited to 100 kb. You may contact me at samarjitsen@unirefeng.com .

Langer
18-09-2006, 11:11 PM
An r22 valve WILL work on a r404 system.
One should only do so to get out of trouble though, but it will still work.

An r22 valve has r22 gas in it, same with an r404 valve having r404 gas in it. Pressures arent that different so it will do the job till a proper valve is fitted.

Samarjit Sen
19-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Dear Langer,

All expansion valves have the refrigerant for which it is rated , charged into its valve. R 22 is a pure refrigerant whereas R 404A is a mixture of gases. The properties may be somewhat similar but are different.
A number of people had tried to use the R 22 TEV for R 404A, but failed to get the performance.

As you rightly say that it can be for temporay use, but during that period the performance and the overall capacity of the system would be quite different.