PDA

View Full Version : That GUT FEELING

Abe
20-02-2002, 01:29 AM
How often have you ignored that still, small voice, and paid the price? Why is it that we so often disregard one of the most valuable resources that we have? And how can we hone and improve that powerful tool?

I am guilty, most guilty of suppressing and overlooking the gut feeling on many occasions. The reasons why we do so at our peril are legion, but here is the main one, which I'm sure you'll identify with: Urgency. We do the urgent at the expense of the important. We need the money so we turn a blind eye to that little voice that tells us we're dealing with the wrong person. We want to reach our target or we want to avoid embarrassment, or we're impatient or just plain cheap. So we do what we feel uncomfortable with and end up with major discomfort. We know that short-term pain equals long-term pleasure, and that instant gratification is usually very expensive, so we should start to act accordingly. How often have you felt that you should call a friend or family member, and, when you did, they said it was just what they needed?

Usually, the first impression we have of someone is the right impression. If we turn down the volume on that still, small voice, we hear the voice of the person, selling us something we really shouldn't be buying. Then we start selling ourselves! And the signs we see are usually very subtle. A look, a tone of voice, a face that needs a shave, cigarette ash, dandruff or dog hair on the coat - tiny clues that are screaming at us, "RUN! DON'T DEAL! LOSER! RED LIGHT!"

When you think back on the times that you disregarded that gut feeling, you will remember the warning signals: the small lies, the excuses, the late payments, the unreturned calls, contradictions, cancellations and physical evidence that should have had you heading for the hills.

Here's how to hone that gut Feeling and avoid making the mistake again in the future:

1. Spend more time meditating, praying and being quiet. This builds your mental, spiritual and emotional strength and acuity.

2. Make a list of the signs you ignored in the past, and look out for them. Signs of slovenliness, lack of respect or self discipline, personal shoddiness and bad habits and lack of proof of their claims. Also, look at whom they associate with; a true sign of who they really are. And give them time to expose themselves; they can't hold their pose forever.

3. Enter every meeting with the commitment to yourself that you will do your due diligence and not make a decision until you are sure that you have listened carefully to your Garrulous Gut. I have decided that I will meet people in the future without expecting to do business with them. The pain of discipline weighs ounces, but the pain of regret weighs tons!

4. Take a trusted spouse or friend with you to the first meeting. One of you will be sure to get the Gut Gospel. My wife is usually very intuitive and has saved me a lot of money - when I listened to her, that is!

5. If you get the feeling to help someone or contribute, and you have nothing to gain by it, it's usually the right nudge. Do it, while the window of opportunity is still open.

6. Finally, be prepared to walk away from a deal if you're uncomfortable. If you hear the quacking of a duck, take off and go look for a screeching Eagle. There are still some Eagles about. They're few and far between, I grant you, but a duck in an Eagle outfit just doesn't cut it anymore. Rather be sensitive enough to find an Eagle in a duck outfit!

I'm making a little sign for my desk: "GO WITH YOUR GUT!" It will make me money, help others and save me frustration.

herefishy
20-02-2002, 01:33 AM
Aiyub, you are so right.

My motto is: I can go fishing and drink beer, to go broke...... I don't have to work at it!

frank
20-02-2002, 09:24 PM
Can't say that I fish, or that I'm about to go broke - but I'll go 100% with the drinking beer thing!!! Hmmm - feel like one right now LOL :D

Frosty
21-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Frank.....I'm gettin a bit worried about you, wot do you mean "I feel like one right now" You should have been on your fifth of the day.....my diagnosis of your problem is LACK OF ALCOHOL.

You MUST start drinkin heavier.....or your health could suffer (might get better!!!)

What about 40 Park Drive a day as well?

Frosty:D

frank
22-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Don't DRINK and Don't SMOKE - well that's what I tell the good woman (is there really such a thing as a "GOOD WOMAN"?). She looks after me real good - well that's what she say's - and who am I to argue. I bet you're just jealous as you have to clock in and out of the house!!!!

herefishy
27-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Today, I got that "Gut Feeling".....

I service a meat plant, which is now going through considerations of re-spec'ing their refrigerated spaces for compliance with new Fed. regulations, and the requirements (or desires) of the (new) ownership, all this coming about upon failure and replacement of the 10hp cooler C.U. Upon telling Mr. Customer that he is getting a new C.U., the request was made to spec for new 28degF space, as opposed to current 35degF space.

:cool: I have enjoyed that adventure, for sure!!! But of course I deal with the local management , and soon recieved a call from the Corporate office, which started out.... "This won't work!(Quack)". The maintenance man ended up with my proposal on his desk, and he called me

It seemed that after a half-an-hour of conversation that I had acquired the man's confidence that I understood all the considerations in the situation, and furthermore proclaimed that his concerns were well-founded and that I was addressing them.

Anyway, it seems that after having spent many hours on my proposal for the 150,000 btuh, 25horsepower application, that I am now requested to spec out the processing room, Freezer, Loading Dock, AND bringing the dry storage to 70degF. He's asking me to spec out almost 30 tons of med. Temp, and I haven't even gotten a NOD on the cooler!:mad:

herefishy
20-03-2002, 12:55 AM
.... as the story continues, I find out that I'm bidding against an international Company.... after three phone calls, it took!

I blew the whole thing off, figuring that the contact person was "in bed" with the competitor (having some history to come to such a conclusion).

A week later, the contact person called asking for my "numbers". I layed it on the line!!!! .... and told (him) that I figured he was in bed with the competition, that I wasn't going to be seriously considered, and that I wasn't going to waste my time. (He) stated that he didn't operate that way, didn't think that was good business, and furthermore that he was aware of the job that I had done over the past several years keeping the plant up and going.

I traveled the 150 miles to hand the numbers to (Him) in person, yesterday. I told the man that I felt like I was in divorce court, and if I didn't do the job, I would feel like a jilted HUSBAND!

I feel a little better about it now, but this experience may be GUT ... WRENCHING!