PDA

View Full Version : there must be something better out there!

arcticmonkey
15-09-2006, 10:36 PM
i`ve been working supermarkets for about 13 years now and its just dawned on me that "there must be something better out there".
answers on a postcard please.

please dont say bingo calling as i`ve tried that.

cheers Damo.

tropicalape
16-09-2006, 01:10 AM
you could try fixing the fridges and not just moaning about it! this might open your eyes to a hole new world.

bernard
16-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Had a few drinks have we?:D

chemi-cool
16-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Well, look at it this way, you could always become a Lawyer, Dentist, Accountant, Drugs dealer, Racing driver, Real estate agent.........

Its endless. But, Refrigeration is addicted.......

Bare it in mind,

Chemi:)

rbartlett
16-09-2006, 10:17 AM
I was speaking to my wife who mentioned her friends husband was also an a/c engineer. the conversation went back and forth but her final comment was "wow you really picked a bad profession didn't you?"

I couldn't help but agree...

Cheers

Richard

NoNickName
16-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Selling gin tonics on Roatan Island (Nicaragua). I think you will not make a living out of it, but who knows.

bernard
16-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I tried to persuade a friend to return to supermarket refrigeration.Although he missed the high earnings he nows has friends and a social life and weekends are no longer just a normal day.

Bernard :D

If I was single I would opt for a nice goverment contract travelling the world.

Hofmann
17-09-2006, 12:46 PM
You guys don't seem very perky. It might interest you to know that I have a quagmire over in 'guidance on a first foray' that could put your apparently undesirable skills to good use :)

bernard
17-09-2006, 02:12 PM
And what would this little foray that has you in a predicament be about.

Regards Bernard.

Latte
17-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Its the same old question:

Money or Life !!!!!

Supermarket work is good, nice clean plantrooms, clean shop floor, easy parking on site, canteens on site (Not that i ever used them );) and best of all good money !!!

The downside is then the hours, getting called out at two in the morning for a lightbulb and out 20 hours a day in summer when the packs cant take the ambient.

It's all down to personal choice, some engineers love it.
Working all the hours possible and having nice homes, cars and holidays.

Personally, Been there done it and would prefer to have a slightly lower standard of living, without a four bedroom house and new car but see my family every weekend. i always maintain the the supermarket game is one for younger engineers who are still keen and have the energy to be doing 30 hours overtime each week

As for me, I'm too old for all that now

Regards

Fatboy

bernard
17-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Its the same old question:

Money or Life !!!!!

Supermarket work is good, nice clean plantrooms, clean shop floor, easy parking on site, canteens on site (Not that i ever used them );) and best of all good money !!!

The downside is then the hours, getting called out at two in the morning for a lightbulb and out 20 hours a day in summer when the packs cant take the ambient.

It's all down to personal choice, some engineers love it.
Working all the hours possible and having nice homes, cars and holidays.

Personally, Been there done it and would prefer to have a slightly lower standard of living, without a four bedroom house and new car but see my family every weekend. i always maintain the the supermarket game is one for younger engineers who are still keen and have the energy to be doing 30 hours overtime each week

As for me, I'm too old for all that now

Regards

Fatboy

HI

I agree its a young mans game and at 35 your still a young man, don,t give in just yet.

Regards Bernard

arcticmonkey
17-09-2006, 08:03 PM
what i am trying to get at is that there isnt a decent job out there.i`m stuck in this boring job and everywhere i try to turn,i hav`nt got the training i need.i am interested in a bit of industial refrigeration as i have done a little bit before.my misses is a pharmasist and says that australia is the place to go.i dont want to leave the uk but living in the south east of england there is`nt a lot of job oppertunities.And yes i did have a few drinks when i started the thread.it was friday after all and just finnished standby!!!!

rbartlett
17-09-2006, 08:11 PM
what i am trying to get at is that there isnt a decent job out there.i`m stuck in this boring job and everywhere i try to turn,i hav`nt got the training i need.i am interested in a bit of industial refrigeration as i have done a little bit before.my misses is a pharmasist and says that australia is the place to go.i dont want to leave the uk but living in the south east of england there is`nt a lot of job oppertunities.And yes i did have a few drinks when i started the thread.it was friday after all and just finnished standby!!!!

Can I suggest the australia thread if you or your mrs harbour illusions about gods own country. But try Star as they seem pretty good to work for train and are into ind..

Cheers

Richard

Andy
17-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Can I suggest the australia thread if you or your mrs harbour illusions about gods own country. But try Star as they seem pretty good to work for train and are into ind..

Cheers

Richard

Aah yes Star:D I think Marc and I would agree on that one:)

They do quite a bit of training, if you have the ability you will progress, but you may end up hitting glass ceiling at a later stage in your career.

Also they will look you to take a pay cut for the privilage of working for them:(

www.star-ref.co.uk

Kind Regards Andy:)

arcticmonkey
17-09-2006, 08:26 PM
dont mind a pay cut but this supermarket lark is starting to get a little out of hand.i heard you have to be the dogs danglies to work for star.

bernard
17-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi

If you fancy a move to cornwall and would like to work in supermarket and industrial then send me a pm and I can put you in touch.

Regards Bernard

Andy
17-09-2006, 09:25 PM
dont mind a pay cut but this supermarket lark is starting to get a little out of hand.i heard you have to be the dogs danglies to work for star.

Star is like many companies, some good engineers, some bad some indifferent. If that is the way you want to go use the contacts on the web site and take it from there.

I worked for them and left them, as I didn't accept a job offer I was given on their terms. They own and run the company so they are entitled to run it their way:D They had no place for me and I should have never went and worked for them in the first place:(

Still I met some nice people and I did learn quite a lot;) but I would say Star is a place to learn and grow, but most good people tend to move on when they feel they can not move up:( Then maybe a lot of companies are like that;)

Kind Regards Andy:)

jamcool
17-09-2006, 10:42 PM
There is always something better,just stay positive and start looking.
My story would take a day or two to tell:D But the long and short is for me its about time to move so have started looking,it wont be easy because anywhere I would like to go in the world I would need some type of a Visa but cannt give up ,wont give up.
Your in the Uk alot more doors can be open to you and not alot of red tape as is in my part of the world.
So decide what you want and go get it.
Nuff said:)

arcticmonkey
18-09-2006, 03:57 PM
cheers guys.cornwall sounds good,but i can`t surf!!
i want to try and get away from the supermarket game for a little while and try something different.with a bit of luck the missus will let me be a house husband for a bit and she can do all the hard work.i`m starting to sound like an old woman.:p

bernard
18-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Good luck on whatever path you take,heres some tips for your house husbandjob.

Water vinegar and news paper for windows

Use coffee to remove coffee stains.:D