PDA

View Full Version : Transporter T5 security

Clivo
15-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Greetings from Spain to everyone. I have just bought a T5 with double rear doors and wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations for beefing up the security/locks ? thanks in advance for any advice given.

Regards
Clivo

Brian_UK
15-09-2006, 10:47 PM
You can always fit additional external locks to the doors, such as these:-

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/gr200+heavy+duty+door+lock/pid/3854578

Clivo
16-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks Brian will check those out

Clivo

rbartlett
16-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I have used these guy's before

http://www.van-guard.co.uk/index.php

Cheers

Richard

Karl Hofmann
17-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Here is another tip for the T5. click the lock button and all of the doors should lock, click it again and they should remain locked but the interior security (If fitted) should be disarmed. There is a known problem with the T5 where on some, if the lock button is pressed twice, the tailgate or back doors will become unlocked. VW are aware of this issue but dont like to tell their customers.....Tossers:mad:

By the way, VW have at long last developed a steering column for the T5 that doesnt clonk, so get your van booked in for the modified steering column.....very early models also had an issue with the handbrake not engaging correctly and was also subject to being replaced if the customer found his vehicle embedded in a shop window......sigh it aint rocket science VW!

Andy
17-09-2006, 12:39 PM
By the way, VW have at long last developed a steering column for the T5 that doesnt clonk, so get your van booked in for the modified steering column.....very early models also had an issue with the handbrake not engaging correctly and was also subject to being replaced if the customer found his vehicle embedded in a shop window......sigh it aint rocket science VW!

Hi:)

my T5 has both these problem, you must really pull that handbrake on.
Second day I had the T5 I parked it up for a fish supper, on quite a large hill. Came out with fish supper under arm, did a double take wheres me van:eek: It had run down a hill and parked it'self in the front of a Toyota:mad:

Didn't do any harm as I had left it in gear, it had just chugged down the hill and came to a stop, but boy did it scare me. I didn't know there was a problem with the handbrake as I now have mine pulled up to the roof:D

My steering also makes the conk noise, along with 7 others we bought in the last six months, still waiting for VW to do a recall:(

But all in all a great van. We had a driver fell asleep recently, flatted a fence with 11 concrete posts, but escaped without a mark; basically the van saved him;)

Kind Regards Andy:)

Clivo
17-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the info the van does have the clonk noise on the steering, but no central locking so gona get some slam locks for all the doors to keep the chancer tool thieves at bay (not that bad in rural Spain really) not like when I worked in London where you had to have a guard at the van when loading but getting that way around the coast.

Regards
Clivo

Karl Hofmann
17-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Andy.

There will be no recall for the steering column as it is not safety related and so you must take it to the dealer and complain. Problem with my dealer though is that I think that I would rather put up with the clonk than several trips to the dealer, one to replace the column and several more to fix all the bits that they broke replacing the column.

Hmm now let me see London or rural Spain. Just booking my ferry ticket, see you shortly Clivo :D