PDA

View Full Version : water coming from Dehumidifier

giovanni
04-09-2006, 07:09 AM
We have a Desert Aire dehumidifier with a remote air conditioning unit attached outside. The last 2-3 weeks since the humidity levels have increased, water has been dripping out of the main unit that is indoors about every 20 mins or so just behind the air intake where the drain is located. ( this happens wether the air conditioner is running or not). I checked the drain for clogs but none found and water runs through the drain pipe when the unit is running. Looking from outside the unit by the air intake there is no water nor is there any by the electrical side. at this time I dont have a convienent way to remove the panel by the drain as the unit is 20 feet above ground. Manual states that reduced air flow could be the problem. We used to use the metal wire filters but changed to a pleated furnace type paper filter which is changed every 2 weeks. I was wondering if the paper pleated filters are too restrictive and causing a reduced air flow problem. Other wise hehumidifier and air-conditioning are working ok. Am I on the right track here?

Lc_shi
04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
If the fan can't meet the pressure loss of the unit and duct,the air flow volume will decrease. Pls confirm if the unit fan total pressure can balance your changed paper pleated filter which is more resistant than metal wire filters. I'm not sure if there's bypass valve for DX coil for small volume air situation.

regards
LC

Abby Normal
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
If it came with one inch washable metal filters and you replaced it with 1 inch pleted, they can be quite restrictive in comparison.

But reduced airflow would result in the cooling coil running much colder than normal. The casing would get cool and you would notice condensation on the lower edge of the casing and under the drain pan inside the unit first.

If it is suspended horizontally you should have an auxiliary pan beneath it but you still need to find the source of the water.

Is it possible water sources from a leak elsewhere is drpping on the duct work, it follows along on the underside of the return duct work, hits the unit and falls?

I assume the compressor is inside the unit, so the lines out to the remote condenser are hot gas and liquid and would not sweat.

20 feet up in the air sounds like an industrial application. Do you have over head doors opening up quite frequently. The ambient dewpoint up there is not all that high, so the casing would have to be pretty cold for it to sweat.

The refrigeration lines are not cold so that leaves the condensate drain. Either the drain sweats or it leaks.

Abby Normal
04-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Last possibility I can think of, you have a leak on the supply discharge, or a cold spot on the supply duct work.

it is sweating on the casing there. The unit is slightly sloped to the drian, the condnesate flows along the underside of the casing and drops by the drain.

frank
04-09-2006, 08:53 PM
An easy way of checking if the filters are causing the problem is to remove them and let the unit run.

This won't cause any adverse damage or problems and should give you a good indication if the filters are the cause.

giovanni
04-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Gents; thanks for the replies. I got called in this morning (I work at an ice rink) for a glycol leak under the ice and while repairing it I removed the filters on the dehumidifier for the heck of it for 8 hrs and low and behold I believe that was the problem. The filters are too restrictive. So far no more water dripping out of the unit. Hopefully that's all it was. Thank you again for the replies. Going back to the original metal ones. Had a tough time locating them but at least they are washable and reusuable

giovanni
04-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Just another quick question.. What is the best way to clean the fins? I was thinking of using an air compressors but should it be blown from the inside out or vice versa, if air compressor should be used at all?

Brian_UK
04-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Blow in the opposite direction to the normal airflow....

Blow it back where it came from ;)

giovanni
05-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Thanks Brian, thats what I thought but I figured it can't hurt to ask.