PDA

View Full Version : suitable new van

gwilliamson
31-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Would love to get some feedback on new vans. I am just starting to look around for a new van and have narrowed it down to either a vivaro, vito, traffic or transporter. They all seem pretty good but there are so many companies out there after our money i thought i'd ask the audience for any advice or good deals??? Any help appreciated.

rbartlett
31-08-2006, 09:52 PM
check the van thread which covered this..

cheers

richard

monkey spanners
31-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Try and borrow a demonstartor for a day, no good spending 15k on a new van only to find it gives you a bad back after two hours driving. Fill it up with all your tools and stuff to see how it goes when loaded. I'm happy with my nissan primastar dci140 (same as vivaro/traffic) getting about 34mpg at 46k miles. get traction control if you've got a heavy right foot!

Jon

old gas bottle
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
the vw transporter 174 sportline,go on spoil yourself,or my 3 year old one 34k,up for change after i get back from a month off. long service intervals, nice ride, fast,not bad on juice, i fitted maple high security slam locks,no rear glass,full bulkhead,keep the tools safe.we also run a new 130 hp,thats not far behind,same fuel consumption though.

Sledge
02-09-2006, 03:19 AM
I drive a Ford E350 V8 diesel. I drove small vans for years, and have switched. I carry every tool known to the trade, and am loaded with a multitude of spare generic parts. I want to go to a call, have the parts for run-of-the-mill repairs on board, do the job and leave, minimizing running around, and leave standing in-line at the suppliers for those unusual parts.
I am also planning on making bio-diesel from frier oil (I service some restaurants where I can get it for free), that is why the diesel.

chilly
02-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Vito is lovely, I paid 13.5k plus vat for it from Gerrard man in birmingham,

My only complaint is the after sales service which is apalling.
there has been a problem with the locks not locking properly and they just havent fixed it evan though they have had it in for days on end with the same result. Definat feeling of they dont care either.

My mate has just picked up a brand new Vaviro for 11 grand and it has sat nav too.. I would have the vaviro if i was to choosed again.

Danny11
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
HI

I have the new vw caddy 1.9 great on fuel and very quick get one for £7000 or £175 a month

Karl Hofmann
11-09-2007, 11:14 PM
I have a Transporter T5 174.. Won't be buying another VW again.. The old T4 was a tough old bird but the T5 is not a credible work tool..Too much stuff having to be fixed under warranty and VW dealers are pretty poor unless you have one of the few good ones. The 1.9TDIs are marginally better but not much.. I used to love my van :(

PAXFREON
19-09-2007, 01:26 AM
I must say, I purchased a e-350 Diesel this past Feb and I may just leave my wife for this vehicle:)...and I also carry every tool under the sun..I hate running for parts. Time is money:)

get the gauges
09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
HI

I have the new vw caddy 1.9 great on fuel and very quick get one for £7000 or £175 a month

I had one of them as a courtesy van,alright if you want 12 points on your licence, can't beat a nice overweight sprinter.

norfolkboy
10-01-2008, 12:53 AM
i am thinking about replacing my 04 vivaro for one with air con before summer, i looked and tried before purchased this one and have been very happy and will get another, in 95k i have only spent about £1300 at a main dealer including cam belt.

get the gauges
10-01-2008, 01:11 AM
i am thinking about replacing my 04 vivaro for one with air con before summer, i looked and tried before purchased this one and have been very happy and will get another, in 95k i have only spent about £1300 at a main dealer including cam belt.

Mercs the only vehicle worth buying i've had various vw and had nothing but problems,i ended up buying a dealer owned fsh 95k sprinter, ive done 35k and spent nothing on it and have no need to worry about the cam belt coz it's a chain,i've spent 25k on vans not inc this one and i'm not buying another,this one has got to last.

Cold Consultant
10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
All of the vans you mention are great. Just depends on what you want to do with it. It really is a question of horses for courses.
Identify exactly what you're going to do with it, then work backwards and see if it'll do what you want it to do.

Glad to help if you want any.

old gas bottle
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM
i sold my 174 VW a while ago now and went all practical,bought a little fiat doblo 1.3TDI just to run round in for a while,best little van i ever owned all for £6500, then i woke up and have been down looking at the new vito sport S V6TDI 220 bhp, if i can get a better deal its gonna happen,god save me !:eek:

monkey spanners
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I think Brabus do a v8 conversion for the vito...

stuartwking
10-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi old gas bottle.,We just got 2 of the new vito sport x, What a van!!!!.Only ever had merc sprinters but think there great vans and are really reliable.would def recommend mercs for reliability.

old gas bottle
11-01-2008, 02:31 PM
hi matey ,what sort of price are they asking up there for the van,?

other thing is ,i hope they dont do a V8,i love my motors but thats a bit too much dont you think:eek:

monkey spanners
11-01-2008, 07:14 PM
V8 viano (vito with seats) 0-100Km 6.2 seconds.....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/7041020.001/brabus-viano-v8

Jon:D

coolhibby1875
11-01-2008, 10:29 PM
hi i have a new vito 111 and although i think its a cracking van the cabin is quite and comfortable and its fast and very reliable however it is a tottal gas guzzler i would go for the traffic or vivarro

frank
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
hi i have a new vito 111 and although i think its a cracking van the cabin is quite and comfortable and its fast and very reliable however it is a tottal gas guzzler i would go for the traffic or vivarro
We had the Vito vans a few years ago - all of them developed diesel leaks on the engine - cost us a fortune until we found the problem. Also had lots of problems with the brakes :eek: (discs warping and no power when braking)

We crashed each and every one - caused by bad adhesion to the tarmac and poor brakes.

I'll dig out a picture.

old gas bottle
12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
frank,the crashes wernt as a result of too much of that luvly stuff in your avatar was it,:D

have heard of problems with vito brakes and the general build quality, that V6 one is tempting though if not just for the grin factor, expensive grin though:D

thebigcheese
16-01-2008, 09:21 PM
would you not look at the ne expert we got 4 of them on fleet. very quick with a good amout of space all electrics and handles well

Andy W
17-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I have a 54 Renault Trafic which I had from new with air con and electric pack, it was a lemon from day one and Renault as a company were totally useless despite all of my complaints to head office etc, just before the warranty expired I yet again complained as I was going to buy a new van and Renault requested my van for two days, when I collected it, it was a totally different van, quiter, fast with loads of low down power, why couldnt they have sorted it out before, so instead of buying a new van (which I did not want to do anyway) I bought Renaults own 2 year warranty to cover most of the items a new warranty covers, it was only £800 and gives me pice of mind if something expensive goes wrong.

Regarding Mercs, I drive Merc cars and the quality just is not there any more and some of the dealers are apalling.

Chill doctor
19-01-2008, 04:19 AM
I also brought a vito from Gerrard man in birmingham, the after sales is terrible, alarm keeps going off , locks dont lock properly and the heating has never worked right.

All they do is tell me to bring it in for the day, then they give it me back saying they reset it, ive took it back four times and the same result, took it to wolverhampton merc and the same there too.

I carnt afford to keep taking days off....Never again!

old gas bottle
19-01-2008, 12:56 PM
thanx for the info guys, stuff the vito then, going to take a scudo 136hp for a test, never had trouble with fiats,good value:D