PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Duplex Ammonia Compressor

refteach
31-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Here is a horizontal ammonia duplex compressor, there are 2 horizontal double acting compressors driven off of one motor between the two. Depending on the installation one could be a booster compressor, however in this case both are high stage compressors.

US Iceman
31-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey Refteach,

If you can scrounge up any old photos or manuals of either vertical or horizontal recips can you make me some copies.

I would particulary like to get some of the old manuals for the recips. Copies are fine.

Thanks buddy.

US Iceman

refteach
31-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I will see what I can scrounge.

NoNickName
31-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Is scrounge yankees' slang?

frank
31-08-2006, 08:02 PM
We also use the word Scrounge in the UK. Meaning 'I'll see what I can get for nothing' - as in beg, borrow etc.

refteach
31-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Means the same over here, maybe I should have put that on the English language & interesting phrases thread.:) I will post more pictures and maybe some pages of manuals, If I remember correctly I have an old glass negative of a horizontal with a corliss steam engine.

mickandlee
07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi
I have some pics of historic refrig compressors taken at the TOKOMARU STEAM MUSEUM NZ last year.
I belive that the museum has a web site.
I can remember working on similar equipment during my aprentiship.
The large horizontal combined steam enging / refrig compressor had a capacity of 60 TR when making ice.

I also have a short video clip showing this compressor under steam but nor sure how to send this.

Keep Kool

Mick

mickandlee
07-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi, back again

I've found pic of the combined steam engine / refrig compr.

The green cylinders are the amonia comp. driven by one side of the flywheel.
The steam engine powers the otherside of the flywheel.

The compressor that I used to work on had a cast iron base that incorporated on one side of the flywheel the refrig condenser and the other side the steam condenser.
The other difference was that the cylinders nearest to the flywheel were the double acting stem cylinders and the piston rods continued on to the double acting NH3 cylinders.

Keep Kool

MIck

US Iceman
07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I found the web site for the steam museum for those who might be interested.

http://www.tokomarusteam.com/

Very interesting to see this.

Thanks for sharing.

mickandlee
08-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi
Another old lady at Tokomaru

mick

mickandlee
08-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Caption for the OLD Lady
Mick

refteach
13-09-2006, 02:36 PM
The horizontal steam engine looked familiar, it is a Filer & Stowell which at the time was around the corner from Vilter in Milwaukee (more than likely a name branded Vilter), in the 80's when Vilter ran out of space, Packages were assembled in the Filer & Stowell Buildings. Does the Horizontal run? It looks like condensate under the cylinder drain valves.

mickandlee
14-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes she still runs under steam power.

You are correct re the manufacturer.

I will get some more picts next Jan when I will be making another visit to see my daughter who live about 10 miles from the museum.