PDA

View Full Version : eBay Mini-Splits

Larry2
31-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Okay, I guess most of you guys here are not in the US, so you've never heard of this vendor for mini-split systems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5-Tons-mini-split-Heat-Pump-Air-Conditioner_W0QQitemZ160023063577QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20711QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But maybe you know of the compressor used by reputation. LG/QP325KBC is the number. I guess that means LG made it and not a favorite here on the list.

I've been looking for a unit all summer that will keep the garage dried out and cool in summer and comfy during winter while also keeping things above 50 F. I have classic car that needs to be kept dry because it's in bare metal. I have an 8000 btu/hr window A/C that does one bay just fine during summer. I suspect 1.5 tons is just shy for three times as much space. I expect the 2 ton will follow soon. This vendor has many sizes in SEER 10 R22.

This is the first I've seen a SEER 13 unit or R410A unit for that matter. Is this junk or will it suffice for what I want to do? I have the gear and experience to commission the unit properly as long as it's not crappola.

mick2me
31-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Quite correct. Nottingham UK

Your not plumbing for an inverter then?
More economical to run etc.

I see the same seller is selling an inverter for 50 bucks more.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Bonair-Depot-Inc_inverter_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZBonairQ20DepotQ20IncQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ68658672QQs ofpZ0

Cant comment on the US brands but I am sure there are those here that will.

I was in the US last week and saw a mini split air installed in the Alamo security booth. But I saw few others of that style. Are they fairly new to the US? Or I guess many people already have Air units and may be upgradeing as their old ones wear out?

Larry2
31-08-2006, 05:48 PM
The mini-splits were around here in 1993 when I had some conventional split systems installed. I even asked the contractor to use a mini-split for a room that required a separate system. He wasn't familiar with them so he refused. He muttered something about "new fangled stuff". I've not seen a mini-split installed anywhere here in the US but I have seen them at home shows. I think they are just not popular. Perhaps for spot conditioning of one space, people are content to put a unit in the window.

I hadn't thought much about the inverter type. The inverter offered for $50 more has two heads and that would be nice to more evenly distribute air across my 24 x 36 space. I worry about the added complexity though. We have lots of lightning here and electronics doesn't do well through these storms.

His conventional unit is EER13. His inverer unit is only EER10.2. The inverter technology should do better than that. Maybe it's a compromise to run two heads from one compressor. Somehow, the inverter technology was not used to the greatest advantage for his unit.

mick2me
31-08-2006, 11:07 PM
I did not check out the specs.

Inverters are normally more efficient, perhaps thats not particularly an efficient brand of inverter.

Yes I have been kept awake in a few motel rooms in my time by the through the wall/window type units!
I thought that alone would sell the Split units?