PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Machine

gwilliamson
28-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I need to get myself a new recovery machine and am wondering if any of you have had any dealing swith a chap off ebay selling promax 5410 units from america at a greatly reduced rate. As far as i can see they will work fine from my site transformer on 110v. A bit worried as to how reputable it all is and not sure about warranties although at around £200 it could be a worthwhile gamble??!! Any Thoughts.?

SteveDixey
29-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I need to get myself a new recovery machine and am wondering if any of you have had any dealing swith a chap off ebay selling promax 5410 units from america at a greatly reduced rate. Any thoughts.?

Import duty plus VAT is one thought. By the time that is paid how close are you to the price currently charged by SRW (who also import them from the States). Ask him if the price is duty paid. At that price, I doubt it.... If your business depends on it, several days lost because of a problem are going to cost you more

Steve

Sledge
30-08-2006, 02:43 AM
I am also in the market for a recovery machine. I have one that is about 15 years old. It is one of the first made by Robinair, weighs about 40 pounds, and ends up trapping about 8 ounces of refrigerant in its discharge.

I have contracted to do a ton of refrigeration work (pun) on small critically charged machines. I need to be able to recover small quantities.

I also need to be able to charge very small quantities. I havent been able to find a charging cylinder for the new refrigerants, and find that using a scale for small charges to be inaccurate.

Any one have any insights into where I could find tools to work on such small equipment?

daddymac
30-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd stick to SRW as they are more likely to back you up in the event of a problem. Beware of bringing kit over from the US via Ebay. I tried this trick with some Bose speakers. Got a letter off the post office... I got stung for VAT, Duty and a "handling charge" before the parcel was released. All in all, an extra £20 would have got me the same in this country!
Oh, and If you're going for a Promax "Minimax", watch out for the inch-long mains lead and Shuko type plug! I've got a few suitable 13a coupling cables in the shed if you want one!

chemi-cool
30-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi gwilliamson,

Bare in mind that USA electricity system, runs on 60 Hz While in the UK its 50Hz.

You will loose 17% of capacity!!

Chemi:)

Larry2
30-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Oh, and If you're going for a Promax "Minimax", watch out for the inch-long mains lead and Shuko type plug! I've got a few suitable 13a coupling cables in the shed if you want one!

I bought a Minimax recently on eBay and it looks to be very nicely made. I don't see the short mains pigtail as a problem. Who has a system located within two meters of a receptical anyway? You will need an extention anyway.

However, the name plate says 60 hz and does not give 50 hz as an alternative. Motors can draw too much current as input frequency goes down. I would think that would be a show stopper regardless of price and import problems since it's not a specification that you can readily fix.

gwilliamson
31-08-2006, 08:18 AM
I bought a Minimax recently on eBay and it looks to be very nicely made. I don't see the short mains pigtail as a problem. Who has a system located within two meters of a receptical anyway? You will need an extention anyway.

However, the name plate says 60 hz and does not give 50 hz as an alternative. Motors can draw too much current as input frequency goes down. I would think that would be a show stopper regardless of price and import problems since it's not a specification that you can readily fix.

Will the running HZ make that much difference. This is my main concern?

daddymac
31-08-2006, 08:38 AM

I'm sure that the short mains lead in the US is less of an issue as you use the 15amp Hubble plug, but an EU version of the minimax is fitted with a Shuko plug which is fine for the rest of Europe, but in the UK we use 13a fused plugs. The length of the cord on my minimax won't allow me to just cut off the EU plug and fit a UK 13a one.:)

Larry2
31-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm sure that the short mains lead in the US is less of an issue as you use the 15amp Hubble plug, but an EU version of the minimax is fitted with a Shuko plug which is fine for the rest of Europe, but in the UK we use 13a fused plugs. The length of the cord on my minimax won't allow me to just cut off the EU plug and fit a UK 13a one.:)

Ah, okay. I understand now. Could you build yourself an extension cord with the 13A fused plug at one end and the EU receptical at the other? Maybe if you're not caught. :D Or open the unit and attach a fifty foot cord and the 13A fused plug permenantly. Again, maybe if you're not caught. In the US, these short power entry cords became popular when Black and Decker and others found it made them slightly more profit. If you think it's annoying for a unit that's never near power anyway, consider a jig saw intended for use in your shop with only a 4" cord. :( That tool comes unplugged while using it all the time.:mad:

Running a 60Hz motor on 50 Hz will cause it to draw more current and spin slower. If the motor is designed with margin (meaning more copper windings) to use on 50Hz that's fine. Usually it would then be noted on the nameplate as 48-62 Hz then. If not designed with that margin, it could lead to overheating. It's likely you would get by running the 60Hz Promax on 50Hz but I think it's starting out on the wrong foot when you can buy gear intended for use on your native power.

You could fire off an email and get a clear answer about the Promax Minimax. www.amprobe.com (http://www.amprobe.com).

Perseus
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Dont over complicate the issue.

Chemi says it best

Mickvee
04-09-2006, 01:22 AM
I have a Promax 5410a sent to me by a sister in the US which thay got off ebay. The unit is 110/60hz in perfect condition, works fine and used regularly for the past 2 years. With all the taxes in came in at £250, which is a bit better than £800 or so for a new one.
I found 110v to be better as some sites will not let you on with 240v equipment.
In the HRP catologe all there 110v model recovery machines are 60Hz.:confused:

al
04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
i also bought from ebay, a robinair recovery machine, digital scales and leak detector, all for under 500e :p shipping was 50e. usa tool warehouse i think it was?

Prices here were about 800 for the recovery unit alone!!

Al