PDA

View Full Version : Car or van.....?

Steve
04-03-2001, 06:33 PM
Having discussed money in the previous thread I thought it may be intresting to chat about service vechicles.

Here in the UK it is quite a big deal to some people (never understood it myself), should the average engineer get a car or van?. Should it be against grade, better vechicles for the better engineers or does it really matter.

Some companys use vechicles as a recruiting tool...!

What do you guys in the states get..?

WebRam
04-03-2001, 07:48 PM
Just to clear things up a bit.

In the USA, people call people carriers Vans.

Steve means box vans.

Steve
04-03-2001, 09:28 PM
Thanks for clarifying that point.....Webby....

WebRam
05-03-2001, 09:26 AM
No problem ....... stephen ......

[Edited by Steve on 05-03-2001 at 07:30 PM]

subzero*psia
05-03-2001, 06:41 PM
Most service companies here in the states have a fleet of service trucks or vans unless the company is very small. "No matter how good or bad the technician is, if he can't get to the customer, the company can't make any money." Not that I necessarily agree with that line of thinking but that is how it is done here... every company wants to be able to respond immediately, even if all the arriving tech can do is write down the unit serial number and model etc., then when available and if needed a backup tech arrives and gives the newer technician some OJT.

As for who gets the best truck or van... usually the techs that have been with the company the longest and the techs that have the most skill get the new trucks. The rest are usually "hand me down" vehicles.

starman
10-03-2001, 09:08 PM
Mmm, I have always felt that when you get a new car or van, you stick with it until its given back.

I prefer a van, I feel a lot safer with the stock in the back, caged and I save a fortune on tax

Steve
15-03-2001, 08:38 PM
I think we could all agree that vans are best suited for the job. Cars are nowdays seen as perk that most engineers do not want to lose.

With a decent car it meant I didnt have to buy the wife a car, more tax but saved money in the long run.

subzero*psia
18-03-2001, 12:32 AM
Actually, I have a full sized van and I keep it pretty empty anymore. I use the space more for hauling equipment than parts and supplies. I hated carrying so many different items... too many different items, and then I still found myself having to order because everything is becoming so proprietary. I am considering making a trade in on a small pickup truck possibly.

tonydeith
19-03-2001, 12:01 AM
A few years ago everybody had a van and supervisors had cars,but over the last couple of years as good engineers become scarce on the ground the car has prevailed.Although not exactly pratical when transporting a 65kg bottle of R404a as i had to do tonight(on call as we speak),it has to be done in order to get the job done.Vans with seats in the back and with cages still fitted is the way the industry should be going and i mean people carrier type vans.
So that you can still have the comfort and quality,but also have the praticality of a good service vehicle and not be restricted to what you can carry.

Dr Freeze
19-03-2001, 01:06 AM
Good evening / morning
Totally agree with you there ,any idea what vehicle you have mind (ie model make).Interested in how many different ideas you can come up with.
ps.
What about cost not only for the vehicle itsself but for the up keep allso.

starman
26-03-2001, 11:28 PM
Hey all, this thread has slowed down a bit??

I like my good old transit. I have it well racked out and a bloody good alarm on it.

I use it for a spot of fishing every so often as well so I am well pleased with it.

It sounds like some engineers are looking for the mythical beast. There is no real substitute for a van. It is built for the job. These pathetic estate cars that engineers are running about in these days hold squat. How can any good engineer carry the correct stuff to comftably carry out a complete fix on a service call with the "stock" you can safely get in one of those things??

[Edited by starman on 26-03-2001 at 11:31 PM]

slloyd
27-03-2001, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by starman
Hey all, this thread has slowed down a bit??

I like my good old transit. I have it well racked out and a bloody good alarm on it.

I use it for a spot of fishing every so often as well so I am well pleased with it.

It sounds like some engineers are looking for the mythical beast. There is no real substitute for a van. It is built for the job. These pathetic estate cars that engineers are running about in these days hold squat. How can any good engineer carry the correct stuff to comftably carry out a complete fix on a service call with the "stock" you can safely get in one of those things??

[Edited by starman on 26-03-2001 at 11:31 PM] i agree in what your saying,but it all depends upon what field of service your in.I drive an estate car and have no real problems with a first fix in supermarket refrigeration,the only commodity missing is large cylinders of refrigerant,any way i wouldnt have a transit parked on my drive ,the neighbours wont allow it!

Dr Freeze
27-03-2001, 10:51 PM
The only reason they wouldn't allow it is because of your parking (they think you drive like a stretch neck (woman).)hahahahahahah.....

C J
28-03-2001, 07:19 PM
I don't know about the rest but I get a New model 3/4 ton crew cab truck, gas and 30 days paid vaction each year .... after all I have to have something big enough to pull my new 35 ft. boat with .....

Later

[Edited by C J on 28-03-2001 at 07:25 PM]

FreezerGeezer
07-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Linde used Peugeot 806's (people carriers) at one time.
The guys I spoke to liked them, although they moaned about the tax.
Personally I'd like a crew cab pickup, except that they tend to be very high off the ground if you've got something heavy to get in, like a 65Kg gas bottle.
CJ, I wish we had 30 days!

Pootle
17-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Ford are about to launch a combi vehicle in the uk based on the transit, looks like a small transit but has seats fitted in the back and sliding side doors. Looks like the best of both worlds with no access through windows to your tools for security and room for the kids if you need it.

Personnally having just started up on my own I struggle with an 8 year old Fiat estate I picked up for £550, one option I'm looking at is to have a trailer with a secure lid for the heavier items (or the kids dependent on their behaviour);)

Pootle

Pootle
04-07-2002, 08:25 AM
One important point to note on this issue is safety, last week a 21 year old engineer was killed whilst driving back from a job. He was driving a small car derived van and had a head on collision with a VW Passat. He died on the scene whilst the five occupants of the VW walked away without any serious injuries.
It would be speculation to say whether or not items from the back of the van struck him from behind, but one thing is for sure, in a small van like that you have the front end of a small car and behind you a large van body and half a ton of tools and equipment. Even if the equipment is secure and you have a bulkhead, all that weight will crush the front end of a small car in a head on collision.

How many companies think about safety when purchasing vehicles, yet driving to and from calls must be the most dangerous part of the job.

abcdefg1675
01-04-2003, 06:10 AM
i have a 1977 cadillac coupe deville de elegance. Its a big boat, eats up gas and squeals the tires when i want it to. with me and the spare tires sitting in it, it weighs over 6000lbs. A 3 ton car... with the 6' long hood, and its huge V8 engine it doesnt really bother me about the thought of head on collisions, well, maybe a lawsuit from someone else...

If youve ever come accros a classical land yacht such as mine, the seats are comfortable, it makes you feel like you own the road, and theirs room in the trunk for a full size domestic freezer (of course the trunk lid wont close fully, but thats aside from the point)

Bones
22-01-2004, 10:37 AM
a one tunner, cant beat one of them :P

Latte
22-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Hello All,
After using various vans for different companies, i am now driving a Vauxhall Vivaro DTI and have to say you can keep cars this is ideal. Very nice to drive (Better than my car), Loads of space and boy does it shift (Not that i would thrash the guts out of a company vehicle if anyone from my company is looking in).
I aggree wih Starman, when i am on call (Far to often for my liking) i know that i have nearly all the spares i could ask for in the back & them some room in case i need large bottles.
Anyone out there looking fo a van, test drive one you will soon see what i mean.

Regards

Raymond.

P.S. I am not being bias towards Vauxhall, The Renault master uses the same body as well.

benncool
17-02-2004, 09:02 PM
We just got a price on a brand new Ford service van. $21,000 US.

Now I have to go to the web and see how much that is in English money. Be right back.......

....... okay, that would be 11,026.5 GBP. (sorry, my computer is not set up to make the "L" symbol that you put up instead of $.)

WebRam
17-02-2004, 09:10 PM
££££££ :)

rbartlett
17-02-2004, 09:36 PM
yes it's brillant nearly 2 to the pound
i can remember when it was 3-1 heady days..

cheers

richard

benncool
17-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Approximately how much would a new van cost in England?

rbartlett
17-02-2004, 10:40 PM
piece of string time but click on these...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/VANS/vans.jsp

http://www.vanman.co.uk/

cheers

richard

Abe
17-02-2004, 11:42 PM
I work mainly on installs......all kit delivered to site,

Peugeot 406 Estate Turbo Diesel, works fine for me, all the luxury and economy rolled into one