PDA

View Full Version : Copeland semi-hermetic compressor ERFA031ETAC

izzyizz
27-08-2006, 09:51 AM
I’m working on a Copeland semi-hermetic compressor ERFA031ETAC and it keeps on running, one side of the compressor is frozen and the whole suction line is also. When I put on the gages it stays at 70 lbs. low side 404A. If I close the suction service valve of the compressor the gauge will go down to 40 lbs and shut off the compressor but pressure will start to rise again and then drop aging while this is going on the compressor is also turning on and off. Does this mean that the valves inside are not holding preventing the low cut out to stop this compressor? I see they have Valve Plate Kits and Gaskets for Copeland E compressors is it a very hard thing to replace these, or it better for someone like me who never did this to just change the compressor.

Oh, one more thing this refrigerator I’m working on has two of these compressors, first and second stage. I ran it with #1 compressor off for 24 hours ( this is the one I’m having a problem with) and #2 compressor held a temp of 40degs in the frig.

Anyway, any help from you guys would be great and thank you.
IzzyIzz :)

old gas bottle
27-08-2006, 03:50 PM
if its just a chiller fridge you should not have a heavy frost on the suction line or on the compressor,is the evaporator[cooler] iced up?,are all the fans working correctly?,if so it may be a faultey expansion valve,[flooding] or even the wrong refrigerant in the system,check all theese things first before pulling the compressor apart,good luck.

izzyizz
27-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Evap does not frezze up and all fans are running. How would I know or check to see if someone else put in the wrong refrigerant in the system?
Thanks again
IzzyIzz:)

old gas bottle
28-08-2006, 03:09 PM
you do have high pressure there denoting that it may be R404 but sometimes R22 is droped in as they are similar in some ways, i would change the expansion valve and drier and see what happens,if its the same,recover the gas and recharge with the same gas as whats stamped on the expansion valve.that should sort it unless there is a very unusual fault.

izzyizz
03-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Yep it was the TXV changed it and all was okay :)