PDA

View Full Version : Check RooM Aircon Outdoor Unit gas pressure

ongahhuat
25-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Greeting to all, I'm new commer to this board.
I used to top gas and using the pressure gauge. Now, after years of not working in this line, I have forgooten.
The outdoor unit gas value has 3 outlets.
top, botton and the cetnre for locking in and out of the gas.
Now i try by first connecting to the bootom the gauge and the end of the gauge to gas tank without opening value, but the pressure was high on connecting the botton valve inlet. could it be that i have to unlock the centre value first.

Thank in advance

chemi-cool
25-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Send us a picture, will you?

Chemi:)

ongahhuat
25-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Thks Mr. Chemi, shall send picture tomoorow, coz now is our nite time.

DEVIL
25-08-2006, 08:24 PM
picture whould for shore help, desctiption ambiguous

ongahhuat
26-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Pic in attachment,alternatively can see at my blog:
ongsmart.blogspot.com

chilly
26-08-2006, 01:59 AM
You dont have it running in heating mode do you per chance?

Can you tell us the pressures?

Have you realy worked in the industry before? How long for and on what kind of kit?

Id make sure it is on cooling before connecting guages.

Honestly though Im a stickler for looking at the whole picture. Gone are the days of topping up a charge. If the charge is wrong, or i suspect it to be wrong, I would recover gass (weigh it out to see if it is indeed short), Pressure test with ofn, Fix the leak if there is one. Evacuate and use a torr guage to hold test. And finaly re charge via weight of gas using virgin refrigerant.

Rule of thumb suction should be about 55psi but i hate rule of thumb. Do it right first time and save yourself a recall.

ongahhuat
26-08-2006, 04:14 AM
THank you

Mr.Chilly for the fast response. I used to work as a service manager in Japanese multi-national company in Home appliance and aircon line for more than 2 decades.
I used to be expert in the electric part and also at times solve mechnical aircon problem with my technicians.

Same checking has been done in my home many times by myself without problems, last time before retiring.

The PSI is almost max on the blue gauges.

I just want to know again what i have done before.

This unit do not have a heating system.

Anyway, many thanks

P/s Maybe put it in this way,
look at the values 3 ways , i supposed. its functionity description will help.

It certainly be helpful if you can recap me on the valve function.
Maybe steps to check would be certainly helpful.

Step 1: connect to the bottom of the valve(blue hose)
step2: Relieve or unlock the centre value
and etc...
Many thanks in advance

chilly
26-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Ok fair comment.

Step one Connect to bottom of hose.

This should give you your pressure reading without any further steps.

Just occured to me you may have the valve switched off. So make sure the valve is on, ie turn allem / hex key anti clockwise to ensure the valve is fully open.

The bottom valve is a sharder valve and will allow your guage to read the pressure when the pin in the end of your guage line pushes in the pin in the sharder valve, Hene no need to adjust the center valve.

The center valve is their for installation and decommitioning purposes only, This isolates the unit from the pipe work,

There are actualy four ports.

Top = Pipework outlet
Center (front) = Acess to valve on /off switch (adjustable via hex key)
Bottom = Sharder connection access valve (For guage line)
Center (rear) Pipe inlet

I hope that helps.

Regards

Chilly

chilly
26-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Just to clarify the murkey waters.

The shrader conection (botom) will give you a reading of the pressure inside the field pipework regardless of which position the isolation valve (middle) is set to .

If the isolation valve (middle ) is set to isolate the pipework (wound in / clockwise) then you will get high readings as the system in backing up the gass into the suction line.

Id make sure the isolation valve (middle ) is wound all the way out (anticlockwise) and then take your pressure reading.

rbartlett
26-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I wonder if it's actually running?

Cheers

Richard

Brian_UK
26-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I wonder if it's actually running?Been thinking that myself, reading the above.

High ambient = high standing pressure.

Peter_1
26-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Now, after years of not working in this line, I have forgooten.
The outdoor unit gas value has 3 outlets.
top, botton and the cetnre for locking in and out of the gas.

Mmmm, 3 valves on an airco iunit, strange....
You said you were once in the trade and forgot this? :rolleyes:
I once knew that I had to eat but since some days, my stomach is making such a terrible noise and now I remember it again...I forgot to eat. ;)

ongahhuat
27-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Salute to Mr. Chilly. Your respectable answers were spot on. Sweet and shape.
However may I confirm prior to action again.
Q1:
The isolation centre valve -Front one- is to be in fully clockwise during normal operating status.
The purpose of openning it (anti-clockwise) is to enable triple flows from the port of centre rear(pipeinlet), top( pipework outlet) & bottom ( for gauge reading option).
Q2:
The procedures can be as:
Step1: Anticlockwise to open isolation port (centre front).
step 2: Connect gauge to bottom of the valve for reading.
Q3:If above step1 is not carried out prior to reading; high reading can occur.
Q4: Some guy was telling me that if the gauge modulating knob is set to maxinium open positon, the rushing of the gas may initially cause temporarily high reading.
Q5: The age of the rubber ring within the hose can also has erratic reading.
Many thanks in advance.

You, surely give me a great pleasure communication with you, sir!

ongahhuat
27-08-2006, 03:25 AM
To Sir Peter, thank so very very much for your comments. You are certainly entiltled to your voice of opinion.

As much as a respect mr. chilly, I often ran into people who dont give constructive answer but terminating formun spirit.

Please learn something from Mr. Chilly, before your tap your dirty fingers once again.

Hope you can have a good day with your kind of attitude.

Peter_1
27-08-2006, 07:34 AM
To Sir Peter, thank so very very much for your comments.
You're always welcome.
Dirty fingers, no, no, no... I only had a hungry stomach, that's all.
I didn't mention your name, the setup with the 3 valves you described is something already used since I was born.
Next time, I will keep my mouth shut and give the impression that I'm stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
:cool:

ongahhuat
29-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Id make sure the isolation valve (middle ) is wound all the way out (anticlockwise) and then take your pressure reading.

THank you Mr. Chilly, I mentioned to find good description of the Valves as picture below.

This text was taken from the Service text of the company I once with.

ongahhuat
29-08-2006, 12:12 PM
To sum up:
Procedures are as follows:
This is summary taken from the service text also:
1. Connect to bottom, the so called service port with valuesset at back seat, anticlockwise, fully opened
2. Purge gauge between service cylinder and the service port.
3. Put equipment to operation and set to
intermediate seat postion for measuring

That is all I need. Thank you to anybody that had help me.