PDA

View Full Version : R22 system in UK can I rip out and re-install

thats-me
24-08-2006, 05:39 PM
So I have a customer with an old Fujitsu twin split, R22.

He wants me to rip it out and re-install in the same building...but, its my understanding that "Removing CFCs to repair or alter a refrigerator and or air conditioning plant, and then refilling with the same CFCs, would not be compliant with Regulation EC2037/00. This is because Article 4(1) bans the use of CFCs, and use is defined as "...the utilisation of controlled substances in the production or maintenance, in particular refilling, of products or equipment or in other processes...". Article 2 of EC2037/00 particularly refers to 'refilling' and since the refrigerator and or air conditioning unit is being 'refilled' this would constitute 'use' and is banned”.

Is this the case?

rbartlett
24-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Why would you want to remove the refrigerant?

Cheers

Richard

thats-me
24-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Why would you want to remove the refrigerant?

Cheers

Richard

rather than pump it down???

No mains electrics to existing install, could run a temp I suppose.

Would this be acceptable then?

The MG Pony
24-08-2006, 07:11 PM
If you must rip it down why not refill with Care 40? Then that mitigates any issues with the R-22 issue and the haze surrounding its non use?

Argus
24-08-2006, 09:27 PM

You have the right Regulation but you have mis-identified the refrigerant.

R22 is a HCFC not a CFC, (please read annex 1, group viii, this will give you the correct identification for the substance),

HCFCs are covered in Article 5.

So, go back to it and read article 5. If the equipment was legal when it was installed then there should be no problem re-installing it within the terms of the regulation.

However, please be aware of the new rules in the UK and the EU since last year governing Hazardous Waste. If you were not re-using the refrigerant, then you need to dispose of it legally. As a company you will need to be registered as a waste producer.

________
vaporizer store (http://vaporshop.com)

A/C student
24-08-2006, 10:29 PM
However, please be aware of the new rules in the UK and the EU since last year governing Hazardous Waste. If you were not re-using the refrigerant, then you need to dispose of it legally. As a company you will need to be registered as a waste producer.

Even the refrigerant wholesalers have to be registerd too. I know that United are lol Yeah you register and then you fill out paper work in the wholesalers, stating where the gas came from, it's weight etc