PDA

View Full Version : Hodge-Podge

subzero*psia
10-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Okay... I have a commercial one door reach-in cooler with a bad compressor. I have a new condenser coil, compressor and a salvaged mounting base. I don't have the original captube... proprietary... irregular sized. I know I could start out with a similar and "experiment" but I don't want to do any excess recovery etc.

I have a Sporlan AJC 0-75 (I bought a small boat load of these little jewels from a liquidation sale). Well I don't have a liquid reciever... I believe the unit will starve during a heavy load. The system would equalize on shut-down just like a captube system unless I install LLS and a LPC. Any opinions on this??

Has anyone fabricated their own small liquid reciever? I am wondering if the Prof or Marc would have any advice on the size of a receiver needed for a 3000 btuh system? It originally held only 18 ounces of R12... but the system has or will be changed due to the extended liquid line to the AEV... otherwise the other components match oem. I am converting the refrigerant to R409a.

The smallest liquid reciever I can find is 4 pounds... It seems to me that a 4 pound receiver would be a bit of overkill for this unit. The system is a top mount and of course the space is limited.

Andy
10-02-2002, 09:41 PM
Hi, Dean. Danfoss make a liquid receiver combined with a drier in quite small sizes.
Regards. Andy.

Dan
10-02-2002, 09:54 PM
Hussmann s-c reachins use an empty Sporlan drier shell as a receiver... same size as the drier... confuses the heck out of the technicians. LOL.

Dan

subzero*psia
11-02-2002, 10:16 PM
It is an AEV... mfd 1993... still have stickers on them.

I think I am going brain dead... too many things going on at my normal job... STEAM! LOL!!

I will try to get pics. Heck I even quoted the wrong refrigerant.... I put an R-22 system on it. Too many and too much going on... I need a break I think.:(

Prof Sporlan
12-02-2002, 02:03 AM
The Prof would agree with Marc.... using an AEV, in this case a Sporlan Type AJC-0/75, would not require a receiver to be used.... unless your'e also planning to relocate the condenser coil outdoors and place a head pressure control on it.... :)

Replacing a cap tube with an AEV isn't a bad idea, as long as it is adjusted so that it doesn't flood back at the lowest load condition. This is essentially what you would be doing when sizing a new capillary tube for the evaporator

Using a TEV should a bit simpler to apply and set properly, though. And you would get better floodback protection in the event something goes wrong with the evaporator.

If you have a low starting torque compressor, you may need to install start components when using either an AEV or TEV.

herefishy
12-02-2002, 02:34 AM
Why can't we get the OEM cap Tube, or the specs, thereof?

subzero*psia
21-02-2002, 01:36 PM
OEM is only available through the manufacturer, Hobart... and their caps have odd size i.d. Plus... to be honest... I hate captubes... just a peave... use them when I have to.

I have most of the work done... just some electrical to do now. This unit is in my garage so I am in no hurry, I have enough other things to do to keep me busy. ;)