PDA

View Full Version : Why no more 10 seer goodman?

cooljesus
16-08-2006, 02:27 AM
does anyone know why goodman(an american manufacturer) stopped producing 10 seer equip. now only 13 seer is smallest
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

cooljesus
16-08-2006, 02:39 AM
ive answered my own question apparentely DOE regs. changed ,,,thanks

US Iceman
16-08-2006, 02:43 AM
I think you have it. I believe the 13 SEER ratings are the new minimum requirements for AC units.

frank
18-08-2006, 10:31 PM
SEER ratings in the US are a measure of energy efficiency right?

In this day and age of permanantly reducing energy resources we can expect to see the numbers increase steadily as new technologies appear, such as inverter drives etc. Just as in the UK, all new equipment now must be sold with the Energy Efficiency Rating clearly advertised (A - G)

http://www.defra.gov.uk/Environment/consumerprod/energylabels/energylabel.pdf

US Iceman
19-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Frank,

I can tell you everything I know about this in under 30 seconds.

The SEER stands for "Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio". It is a method of rating the units for energy efficiency. This way the consumer only has to know, the higher the number, the better the unit is for lower overall energy use.

That actually took longer than 30 seconds. Fat fingers!!!

mick2me
01-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Is there a formula for converting the US rating to UK COP? :confused:

Andy P
01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Is there a formula for converting the US rating to UK COP? :confused:
There are two differences:
1) SEER in USA is in BTU/h per Watt or some such heathen units, whereas CoP is in kW/kW, so a SEER of 13 is equivalent to a CoP of 3.8 (divide by 3.415)
2) the "seasonal" part of SEER means that it is supposed to express the total cooling done over a year divided by the total energy consumed over the year. How do they know? Either its a "S.W.A.G" or the Weather Channel is more accurate than I thought:D CoP is the performance at a specific set of conditions - usually full load and design ambient so not very representative of real life.

Cheers
Andy P

US Iceman
01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
SEER in USA is in BTU/h per Watt or some such heathen units,

I almost spit coffee on my nice flat panel display. For shame Andy.:p

How do they know? Either its a "S.W.A.G" or the Weather Channel is more accurate than I thought:D

This is not my normal area, but would they use Bin Data or degree days for this? Even with that, it would be location dependent and by the time the data was "normalized" would it be useful at all?

To me the SEER rating is a lot like gasoline consumption in autos. Your mileage may vary, even if the rating is the same. It just a number to compare various units.

Sorry about the Andy. I forgot you don't use mileage as it is one of those heathen units of measurement.:D

mick2me
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Now your making things confusing US Iceman!:confused:

You should know that Sierra Madre Ca. is 20 minutes from Glendale and not 13.8 miles?:p

Thanks Andy P for that enlightenment.

nh3wizard
02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=Andy P;48895]There are two differences:
1) SEER in USA is in BTU/h per Watt or some such heathen units

Im with IceMan,Thanks Andy, I havent been called a heathen in alot of years, thanks for the laugh

Bones
02-09-2006, 01:37 AM
and we've got a star rating LOL, more stars more energy efficient.... it really helps to confuse customers alot - but at least from our end of business it has got alot of the cheap garbage off the market for the moment.