PDA

View Full Version : Hi

HGS
15-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi.I got a message that i dont post anything.The thing is that i do not know all the new things you are talking about i only work with wery large compressores and systems with up to 70 ton of refrigerant.I am educated ref tec in Denmark but in that time it was only R12.R22.R502 and NH3. I do have a qustion for US Iceman.
I am as you know sailing onbord tankers we are having big problems with our compressors the type is Erstzer 536 we have until now chanced 20 ps due to bearing damage ewery time one break down it cost us up to 150.000 US plus all the labor (the compressor is about 3500 kg ).

I suspect the clearing of the bearings is too small only 8/100 mm.The compressores is running on VOC Gas its the gas you get from loading at oilrigs in the north see.We make this to liqid by cooling it to -43 with propylen as media.with a Erstzer 436 and this plant is running without any problems.

Best regards Claus:)

nh3wizard
15-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for sharing, everyone has something to share at one time or another

I wouldnt be able to handle being at sea that long

US Iceman
16-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi Claus,

Very good to hear from you again.

I am as you know sailing on board tankers we are having big problems with our compressors the type is Erstzer 536 we have until now chanced 20 ps due to bearing damage every time one break down it cost us up to 150.000 US plus all the labor (the compressor is about 3500 kg ).

I suspect the clearing of the bearings is too small only 8/100 mm. The compressors is running on VOC Gas its the gas you get from loading at oil rigs in the north see. We make this to liquid by cooling it to -43 with propylene as media.with a Erstzer 436 and this plant is running without any problems.

The compressor running on propylene is a closed circuit. The propylene is just being re-circulated thought the same system. Therefore if the piping does not leak and you do not get water or air into the system, there is no contamination to get into the system.

Without any contamination, the refrigerant purity stays the same and no additional "junk" (dirt, acids, etc.) can cause bearing wear. The oil quality does not change, except if a mechanical part begins to wear (higher metal content) or if the oil has been used too long (which can affect the viscosity).

On the VOC compressor, you are pumping whatever is in the tanker. Some of this gas may have trace amounts of hydrogen sulfide (maybe) or other gases that can cause quite a bit of bearing wear and other problems. Some of the problems may also be due to excess dirt or other chemical reactions which accelerate the bearing wear.

Since the VOC gas goes through the compressor, the compressor catches all of the junk and chemicals.

I'm not very familiar with shipboard installations like yours, but perhaps a gas filter can be fitted to clean the solids out of the suction gas. Also, larger oil filters with higher filtration capability may provide longer run times by reducing the particles in circulation within the oil.

I know someone who manages an ammonia storage facility where they store very large quantities of ammonia for fertilizer. There the ammonia is shipped in on barges or rail cars and off-loaded into storage spheres. It's similar to your system, except it's a different gas.

However, they may have a method to prevent some of what I suspect you are having problems with.