PDA

View Full Version : eBay didn't like it!

mick2me
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
I've watched sellers on ebay flogging R22 split air units to unsuspecting buyer, Items being sold as self fit etc etc. :eek:

So I thought the public should know the truth. In the 3 months that I have been interested in fitting my own heat pump units, I've done a lot of research, and am now far better informed on the subject.
Much of the help on this has been provided by you guys. ;)

Anyway I posted a Warning listing on eBay (selling a help document) warning prospective customers to beware what they bought.

That one sliiped through the eBay net probaly due to the fact that I was selling something tangible?

Over a 10 day period the ad had 1505 different people view it. 8 hours before it was due to end it had been viewed by 948 different people, the last 550 odd people viewed it in those last 8 hours.

As a result of the interest (something to think about guys $$$$?) I decided to set up a forum purely for buyers who require advice on self fitting and obtaining professional help with the gas side.

This I did and one of my first forum postings was about buying units with R22 refrigerant.

We were just starting to get a few DIY's on board, and a couple of people who appeared to know what they were talking about, when guess what?

Yes eBay pulled the listing - Rules! http://www.nottstalgia.com/forums/html/emoticons/rulez.gif

Do you think I might have upset someone?
I dont think it was a prospective buyer?

I am just (carefully) reading eBays rules to post another listing both pointing to the forum, and providing a warning about the pitfalls of buying on eBay (or elswhere).

Watch this space

The MG Pony
08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
ebay doesn't give a squat about legality long as their ass is coverd, and any thing that sells through them they make money from, so naturaly they do not want to loos any cash cows.

As the old saying goes buyer beware is the leading moto by the staff there, Personaly I buy lots of stuff through them but then again I know what I'm looking for and know what not to get so it comes down to the person surfing, and I think they depend on a clueles public for a good mass flow of goods to keep going through.

slingblade
08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
De pony is right. they care not a jot as long as the money flows. there is a certain amount of "ass covering" but just enough to keep them legal, allegedly.
i was recently the victim of a fraudster who won an auction for an item i was selling and wanted shipping to Nigeria before payment was sent. since i was not born yesterday this did not happen. once reported this individual was banned, but i do not seem to be eligable for a refund for the listing as this is against their policy.
MORAL; i shall take my crap to a charity shop in the future.

as for splits and gas etc. i am not surprised as to the attitude they showed mick2me because it may interfere with the directors champagne at christmas budget.

mick2me
09-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes, I made some good sales on eBay always had satisfied customers.

Only a couple of bad buys, A camera that didnt work, and we better not mention the binoculars that turned out to be made of cardboard!

Agreed ebay could not give a damn. and their buyer
protection is not worth a jot!

In the days that the ads ran, I think I helped a few
suckers back on the right path over "self fit" units...

Electrocoolman
21-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Mick2me et al,

See my reply to the thread "Should we install units that customer has bought off Ebay"...that was before I saw this thread..

There are several sellers giving instructions for flare connected units stating that vacuum pumps are not required and that the air can be expelled from the pipework.....obviously not precharged pipework with quick connectors as the DIY sheds are selling.

How about bringing pressure (no pun intended) via MPs or Watchdog etc against these 'rogue traders'

Cheers Adrian

taz24
21-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I've watched sellers on ebay flogging R22 split air units to unsuspecting buyer, Items being sold as self fit etc etc. :eek:

As a result of the interest (something to think about guys $$$$?) I decided to set up a forum purely for buyers who require advice on self fitting and obtaining professional help with the gas side.

This I did and one of my first forum postings was about buying units with R22 refrigerant.

We were just starting to get a few DIY's on board, and a couple of people who appeared to know what they were talking about, when guess what?

Watch this space

Hi ya mate.

Where is the forum you are talking about. Is it on ebay or somewhere else.
Keep up the good work. The more attention this raises the better.

Cheers taz.

One idea would be for all of us to advertise the exact same advice. A word for word advert but from tens of different sources. :D
Might work.:)

cold as ice
22-10-2006, 09:43 AM
So is it illegal to import these units from Japan then?
Surely these people who buy and have these units shipped to the uk are breaking importation / custom laws aswell?

old gas bottle
22-10-2006, 12:56 PM
ebay,s just a gloryfied car boot with the same morals,i have 100% feedback but havent used it for some time now,think alot of the good "ebayers" have left leaving the you know what !

taz24
22-10-2006, 04:04 PM
So is it illegal to import these units from Japan then?
Surely these people who buy and have these units shipped to the uk are breaking importation / custom laws aswell?

I queried some B&Q staff once to the legality of the systems they sell. The staff primed with the information explained that the mechanical conector fitted to these systems has been tested to opperate over one million times and has never failed. The system design therfore makes them DIYable.
I don't know about people who sell normal splits and where they stand with the law.

On another point in England people can legaly sell car air horns, you can fit them, but it is illegal to use them. So I imagine it could be somthing similar for other products air cond included.

Cheers taz.

MTKkeefy
22-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I guess it just comes down to making sure you tell the buyer that it is illegal to use?

Its perfectly legal to purchase marijuana seeds, aslong as you don't grow them! :confused:

cold as ice
23-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi guys
After reading this thread I searched on ebay and found a seller by the name of Plus44UK.
I sent him a message saying i wanted 50 of these units for a big job and could he supply them... I also asked what refrigerent they ran on.

Guess what the reply was:-

I have about another 100 of these units available . the units are pregassed, so you dont need to fill them up. - no mention of R22

So i tried again, this time I said ok but what length of pipework will the precharge work with satisfactory? and whats the refrigerent should I need to put in a trim charge...

Answer - Sorry I dont know

So third time lucky - I said well If you cant answer my question I will have to take my business elsewhere

answer- you can use up to 5.5m of pipe after which a top up of R22 will be required

Bingo got what we wanted in the end.

NO MENTION AT ALL ON EBAY UNITS ARE R22!

Argus
24-10-2006, 09:38 AM

If you are concerned that there is a breach of the law by a UK based enterprise or individual selling either HCFCs or units containing them, you should take your complaint, with proof, to the Trading Standards Office.
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/consumers/consumers.cfm

As I understand it the breach will be under EU Regulation 2037/2000 and the UK offences are in SI No: 528 / 2002.

Suggest you read it up first, though.