PDA

View Full Version : How is a filter drier sized

kengineering
07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Lets say there is no drier in the system. Generally you would replace with same. Do you go by HP, BTU, tubing size of course gives you some indication but what would be the correct way to choose. Ken

US Iceman
07-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Hi Ken,

Here is some information on the Sporlan filter/driers.

http://www.sporlan.com/40-10.pdf (3 MB file size)

When you look in the manual you will see several different categories for selection.

The center column shows the capacity for a specified pressure drop of 1 psi for one Ton of Refrigeration.

The columns in light blue to the right are some different areas and capacities that can be used. Depending on the system operating conditions.

If you notice the OEM air conditioning column that usually has the highest capacity. I would expect this is due to better fabrication methods in a shop, rather than in the field.

I tend to use these as a starting reference and then up-size the driers. I prefer to have larger driers rather than one that might be just right.

Remember, you don't want a lot of pressure drop in the liquid line, since that will cause flashing in the tubing.

Unless you have a lot subcooling.:D

The other interesting data is the water capacity ratings. This is showing you the drier cores have a much better absorbing capacity as the drier gets colder.

Rob S
08-08-2006, 05:00 AM
I just read the back of the box... :)