PDA

View Full Version : Making the best of the worst A/C setup.

knkreb
07-08-2006, 03:43 AM
I have a customer (industrial plant) that has a split system A/C that was never put in properly. Here's the list of what it has against it:

1. It draws return air from the ceiling of the plant. The other day that was 100°F db/ 77°F wb air temp. It then blows this air down into a few offices that have no return air means.

2. Someone along the way has changed the piston to a #75 orifice piston. This looks to be about a 3.5 ton piston and the system is 5 tons.

3. The condensor is located on the roof next to the dust/waste collector system, and is prone to plugging up the condensor coils.

4. The other day (mind you having that #75 piston) the system was running about 400 PSIG head with a 72 PSIG suction. Liquid line was very cool (aka lots of subcooling)

Here's my thoughts... anyone have input?

1. Change the system to an expansion valve system with a receiver.

2. Slow the blower down to a lower speed to reduce the heat load on the evap, and to get the discharge air temperature down to a point that it would actually cool the office space.

3. Possibly add a Crankcase pressure regulating valve to the system to reduce possible compressor overload.

And finally my question about engineering this project: I don't have an engineering degree, but I was wondering this to find out what the best way was to find out how much load is actually on the system? To operate at 2000 cfm at 100°F db/75 °F wb, and reduce the discharge air temperature down to about 60°F (most likely I guess with a 60°F wb too?)

My rough guess is that I need to cut the airflow in half at least (1000 cfm) to have a 5 ton system actually cool the space properly.

Oh, I almost forgot, the cost of ductwork modification is way more than the customer's budget to fix it. That's why I'm looking at just getting the refrigeration side to work properly.