PDA

View Full Version : Single room a/c - long pipe run?

electro
06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey there folks, I'm shortly going to get me a system in this room for cooling me and all my computing stuff down, yay!

One of my customers is an a/c engineer (I'm an IT consultant) so he's going to be doing all the pipe connecting and gassing, and I'm going to DIY install the units.

I've calculated the complete distance from indoor to ourdoor location is going to be about 13m, so a complete pipework loop of 26m.

I've requested a Daikin inverter, heatpump/cool model, my room size is 3m by 4.5m, two exteriour walls, one with a window that is south-westerly facing and catches the afternoon sun.

I've got about 3 computers in here running most of the time, it's actually only 2 computers but the rest of the kit probably makes up another computers' worth in heat :)

Couple of questions, is the 26m pipe run going to cause any problems in loss of efficiency or any other probs?

Secondly, what size unit would be recommended, I'm guessing 2 or 3kw of power consumption but I'm trying not to get too burned up on the electric bill here (hence choosing an inverter!) :)

Your help is much appeciated!

Cheers!
-Dave

frank
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey there folks, I'm shortly going to get me a system in this room for cooling me and all my computing stuff down, yay!

One of my customers is an a/c engineer (I'm an IT consultant) so he's going to be doing all the pipe connecting and gassing, and I'm going to DIY install the units.

I've calculated the complete distance from indoor to ourdoor location is going to be about 13m, so a complete pipework loop of 26m.

I've requested a Daikin inverter, heatpump/cool model, my room size is 3m by 4.5m, two exteriour walls, one with a window that is south-westerly facing and catches the afternoon sun.

I've got about 3 computers in here running most of the time, it's actually only 2 computers but the rest of the kit probably makes up another computers' worth in heat :)

Couple of questions, is the 26m pipe run going to cause any problems in loss of efficiency or any other probs?

Secondly, what size unit would be recommended, I'm guessing 2 or 3kw of power consumption but I'm trying not to get too burned up on the electric bill here (hence choosing an inverter!) :)

Your help is much appeciated!

Cheers!
-Dave
Hi dave and welcome to the forum

I've got to ask - why isn't your customer - the AC guy - advising you on the install?

By the way, it's either a heatpump or a cooling only unit. Pipework lengths are calculated one way so yours is 13m not 26.

What made you choose a Daikin Inverter?

electro
06-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi dave and welcome to the forum

I've got to ask - why isn't your customer - the AC guy - advising you on the install?

Thanks Frank!

I haven't given him the room sizes yet and it's a Sunday so I didn't want to bother him until I was absolutely certian that these issues wouldn't be a problem :)

By the way, it's either a heatpump or a cooling only unit. Pipework lengths are calculated one way so yours is 13m not 26.

What made you choose a Daikin Inverter?

That's cool, he did say that the units can run with up to 15 or up to 30m of pipework so it's good to hear I'm within the 15m distance limit!

I chose a Daikin inverter because he said that it's one of the top brands that are good quality, I've also seen their kit used in server rooms before, he also advised that the inverter models are more efficient and don't cause startup fluctuations in the power.

Cheers!
-Dave

Brian_UK
06-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Sounds like you've got a convert out there Frank :)

electro
06-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Ohhh go on then, persuade me to get something else :D

Abe
07-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Daikin is tops Man............
No persuasion required........

Mitsubishi also cool............

electro
07-08-2006, 12:37 AM
One other small question, the control signal cable that runs between the two units, is Cat-5 ok for this purpose?

Cheers!

puddleboy3
07-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi there! If installing a daikin unit, then your interconnecting wiring should be 4 core 1.5mm 240v rated. Probably the best tip i could give you is to take your application into consideration for instance a server room or the likes equals low latent heat. Which from experiance if you install a split type unit like the daikin RXS35DVMB then you will no doubt have problems with freeze protection and if the ambient temp is below 10 degrees C your unit will not go into cooling mode. So depending on your application you should consider the RZQ Sky air range which has an EDP setting for low latent heat application. Hope this helps!:)