PDA

View Full Version : Car Air Con

dazmac
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello , 1st Post for me.
It has been a good while since I did any air con or refrigeration but I do have some rusty experience from the Royal Navy and from the Freeze drying industry.

My question today is about cars tho.

I recently bought (and am regretting it) an Interdynamic DIY kit for charging the AC on my car. The kit took a week to be delivered and on connecting to the system, the charging hose proved faulty. (it had a leak) Now the system is running at about 25psi LP side. Would this leak have allowed air in or refrigerant out? (I was thinking along the lines of a venturi effect to get the air in?)
I contacted the shop owner and he replied to my email and will refund or replace faulty guage hose, (as I would expect) but was not very polite about my simple question about air getting in.
His reply was along the lines of the system running at 25psi, how the heck does air get in to a +ve pressure? (But with a slightly different vocabulary.)
So over to the proper experts for I am sure what will be a polite answer having spent the past couple of days reading other posts.

Andy
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Hello , 1st Post for me.
It has been a good while since I did any air con or refrigeration but I do have some rusty experience from the Royal Navy and from the Freeze drying industry.

My question today is about cars tho.

I recently bought (and am regretting it) an Interdynamic DIY kit for charging the AC on my car. The kit took a week to be delivered and on connecting to the system, the charging hose proved faulty. (it had a leak) Now the system is running at about 25psi LP side. Would this leak have allowed air in or refrigerant out? (I was thinking along the lines of a venturi effect to get the air in?)
I contacted the shop owner and he replied to my email and will refund or replace faulty guage hose, (as I would expect) but was not very polite about my simple question about air getting in.
His reply was along the lines of the system running at 25psi, how the heck does air get in to a +ve pressure? (But with a slightly different vocabulary.)
So over to the proper experts for I am sure what will be a polite answer having spent the past couple of days reading other posts.

Hi dazmac welcome:)

No air or moisture ingress, except what was in the charging line if it was not purged;)

Air and moisture can be drawn in even if the system has positive pressures, but tis would be in a long term leak, not a service connection.

Shouldn't have bought a DIY kit, now you will need a pro to sort it out:D

Kind Regards Andy:)

dazmac
05-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Cheers for the help Andy

No, I won't need a (another) pro, not yet. It is a reputable garage that has me at this situation of DIY. Did I not mention it was a 'Professional' DIY kit? I just need to spend spend spend and buy the proper kit to do it right.
Vac Pump, recovery unit, gauges, hoses, R134a, etc.£££££ Won't catch me spending £35/hour at the garage!!:D
By next summer I should be cool!:rolleyes:

The MG Pony
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
hell with all that you might as well build your self a water chiller for the computer and A/C for the house while at it lol :)

6k BTU/hr Chiller for electric toys < :D

Lc_shi
08-08-2006, 06:58 AM
BTW, who knows the structure of this product as the photo shows ? thanks