PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Compressor???

OliverWestby
05-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi, I have a fairly old air con unit that I have posted on here before about, and to avoid confusion, I have started another thread to simplify my problem.

The air con unit in question is a portable room air con, that doesn't work. When the unit is switched on, the compressor makes a kind of buzzing sound for a few seconds and then the cut out switch comes into effect and stops it. I think this may indicate that my compressor is stuck.

I have replaced the compressor run capacitor with no effect, and I was wandering whether it is worth buying a start capacitor to boost the starting torque.

Could there be any other reasons for my air con to be doing this?
Also can I make a starting capacitor thing. I believe there is a relay or sumthing in there, so if you have a schematic for one of these devices, it would be much apprieciated.

Thanks,
Oliver

indepth
05-08-2006, 04:18 AM
If your compressor dont start with zero pressure differential and your start relay & capacitor is good, you can try to hit it with an hammer when he try to start, before the overload cut. Or you can try to run it on 220V if it is a 110V, and that for only half a second. After, plug it back on 110v. This two trick will help if the compressor is seized... but it is only a temporary solution..
You can try to change oil, wont hurt.

But dont waste too much time on it :)

OliverWestby
05-08-2006, 07:16 AM
The unit doesn't have a start capacitor, only a run capacitor, which was why I was thinking about getting one.

Andy W
05-08-2006, 07:25 AM
The comp is seized, even if you make a test cord with the start capacitor in series it will only do the same, buzz and click.

indepth
07-08-2006, 11:35 PM
if its seized, try the hammer trick or the overvoltage trick, but be aware that it is only a temporary solution and it WILL fail again :P

leftjobrunning
08-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Just change it, the amount of time you'll spend trying to get it going again added to the distinct possibility of a call-back (which makes you look like a div) suggests it's the common sense route of action.

indepth
11-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Yah, if someone pay you to do the job, do it the right way, change the compressor or change the unit.

MadApprentice
11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I reckon take it to your local scrappy and get $10 for then get another 10 bucks and buy a carton! (dont forget to take the refrigerant out first and use a reclaim unit!)

Then all the time/stress you save buy yourself a new unit and enjoy!!!

Dan
12-08-2006, 02:25 AM
You can by a hard start kit for not too much money, which effectively gives you a start capacitor and relay through a PTC thermistor. Although I agree with the other comments regarding the economy of trying to repair something that can be bought cheaply, I have a stubborn streak that makes me want to resurrect compressors.:)

davey1000
30-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Most Danfoss compressors can be configured as LST (low starting torque) or HST (high starting torque). LST is the norm as HST needs a capacitor (not liked by accountants) however on equipment that is only used seasonally such as dehumidifiers its not so good. The hammer method sometimes works. Possibly the HST kit plus hammer will free the compressor.

glenn1340
30-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Time to buy a new a/c unit. It`s really not worth the effort involved in fitting a new pump as mobile a/c are so cheap these days.

lowcool
01-12-2009, 02:08 AM
I reckon take it to your local scrappy and get $10 for then get another 10 bucks and buy a carton!

mad apprentice,from which supplier can one purchase the above goods i assume it also includes 24 cans of lubricating contents within.:D