PDA

View Full Version : Refilling with R410a

mick2me
30-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Should a split air unit require refilling with R410a would this be a particularly expensive part of the install process? The pipe run would be no more than 6m.

Abe
30-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Should a split air unit require refilling with R410a would this be a particularly expensive part of the install process? The pipe run would be no more than 6m.

Its difficult to understand what you mean by " expensive"
You require a weighing station and the refrigerant..
Thats about it

Regards

:)

mick2me
30-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Its difficult to understand what you mean by " expensive"
You require a weighing station and the refrigerant..
Thats about it

Regards

:)

Sorry Abe

I cannot give you the weight of gas for the Unit.
But its a pretty standard split cool only unit, which is not gassed up.

The general gist of my question is if R410 gas is particularly expensive to buy, for a standard unit about 12000 btu.

frank
30-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Sorry Abe

I cannot give you the weight of gas for the Unit.
But its a pretty standard split cool only unit, which is not gassed up.

The general gist of my question is if R410 gas is particularly expensive to buy, for a standard unit about 12000 btu.

Hi Mick

R410a is supplied, as far as I know, minimum of 13kg bottles to the trade. Current price to ourselves is about £90 per 13kg's.

A 3.5kw split should take about 1 - 2 kg depending on make and piperun

mick2me
30-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Mick

R410a is supplied, as far as I know, minimum of 13kg bottles to the trade. Current price to ourselves is about £90 per 13kg's.

A 3.5kw split should take about 1 - 2 kg depending on make and piperun

Thanks Frank, thats what I was after.:)

This refers to picking up a used unit to go in the rear kitchen which gets hot in the summer but does not require heating in the winter..

Any tips on what to look for in a used unit, or advice against?

frank
30-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Any tips on what to look for in a used unit, or advice against?

It's always difficult with second user systems. Basically, if I didn't fit it first time then I am loath to fit it the second time. Without history you don't know of any problems that can't be seen, i.e. moisture in the system, has it been running under/overcharged etc.

With the price of small splits now it's just not worth the bother or possible heartache

mick2me
30-07-2006, 08:22 PM
It's always difficult with second user systems. Basically, if I didn't fit it first time then I am loath to fit it the second time. Without history you don't know of any problems that can't be seen, i.e. moisture in the system, has it been running under/overcharged etc.

With the price of small splits now it's just not worth the bother or possible heartache

Not even a Daikin at a good price? :rolleyes:

US Iceman
30-07-2006, 11:31 PM
You mentioned the use of R-410a. Was the system designed for this higher pressure refrigerant in the first place?

mick2me
31-07-2006, 12:48 AM
You mentioned the use of R-410a. Was the system designed for this higher pressure refrigerant in the first place?

But of course. and I understand it was decomissioned and the units sealed.

US Iceman
31-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Good enough. I just wanted to mention it. If I had assumed, I had a 50-50 chance.;)

PS. I hate to assume anything. You know what that word means when you break it apart in context don't you?:D

rbartlett
31-07-2006, 06:29 AM
But of course. and I understand it was decomissioned and the units sealed.

usually that means it's been pumped down and the refrigerant is in the outdoor unit as per normal.

Cheers

Richard

mick2me
31-07-2006, 07:18 AM
usually that means it's been pumped down and the refrigerant is in the outdoor unit as per normal.

Cheers

Richard

Now thats an important point richard?

The guy says there is no gas, So perhaps it has not been 'de-commissioned'

Abe
31-07-2006, 11:40 AM
If theres no gas..............the guys who took it down merely cut the lines......

frank
31-07-2006, 08:45 PM
As per my original post - if the unit hasn't got any history !!!! beware :eek:

Brian_UK
31-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Remember Mick, that any comtanimation due to poor 'decommissioning' will ruin the oil within the system.

Bad oil = dead compressor, short life, expensive error.

Hint = think very carefully.

mick2me
31-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Its already been dismissed as a bad idea.

I am still of the mind of the Mitsubishi SRK25-ZD inverter for the bedroom.

Larry2
04-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I have pretty much the same question concerning a used system I am looking at for occasional heat in my garage. The seller is offering a used system that "worked fine" when taken out of service a few weeks ago. I asked if the gas had been pumped to the outdoor coil. His reply was the valves were shut and the gas pumped out of the indoor coil.

For a functional system planned for resale, what would standard practice be? I would have thought the charge would be returned to the condensor, so one would start with close to a correct charge on reinstallation. It seems like such a quick thing to do, saves gas retreival time, recycling expense etc. Maybe not, when time is money.

frank
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
For a functional system planned for resale, what would standard practice be? I would have thought the charge would be returned to the condensor, so one would start with close to a correct charge on reinstallation. It seems like such a quick thing to do, saves gas retreival time, recycling expense etc. Maybe not, when time is money.
Hi Larry
If the system was correctly charged in the first place after a clean install and appeared to be operating in balance then, yes, if it was pumped done, removed, re-installed in the new location with exactly the same pipework length and number of bends then I would say it should be fine.

However, this is not always the case and every system should be commissioned at the time of installation to ensure correct operation.

Your post mentioned that the valves were closed then the refrigerant was removed from the indoor unit. This is not pumping down. This is recovering the pipework and evaporator section to a receiving cylinder.
If this is the case then you do not have a full charge left in the system.

Larry2
06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Frank, I guess what I was wondering was if it would be common practice to shut the valves and just vac the indoor side. I would have pumped the gas to the condensor for a system I planned to reuse. Of course if the compressor was defunct, one couldn't do that. The price went out of bounds anyway, considering the risks of buying junk.

Abe
06-08-2006, 10:27 PM

Complete refrigerant should be contained within outdoor unit

All pipes should be sealed, airtight........watertight, contaminant tight.

Even if a small beetle, fly, spider, would crawl in.........or some piece of dirt or muck gets in by a line scraping along a floor, you will have operational problems by way of blockages

The MG Pony
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Why not just change the oil after a flush?, thats what I did, I salvaged a plant out of a vending machine made in 73! abused it, used it was an air compressor then ran it on propane (Poor thing I know, I was learning still) Any case a good alcohol flush and some fresh POE oil after a good long heated vac the thing came to life brilliantly :) and is purring away (Well as good as a 73 vintage compressor can).

Temprite
07-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Complete refrigerant should be contained within outdoor unit

All pipes should be sealed, airtight........watertight, contaminant tight.

Even if a small beetle, fly, spider, would crawl in.........or some piece of dirt or muck gets in by a line scraping along a floor, you will have operational problems by way of blockages

Also don't forget to put flare nuts and copper bonnets on the valves after pumpdown. Don't rely just on the service valves to stop the charge from leaking out if unit is not going to be installed for some time.

leftjobrunning
08-08-2006, 04:13 AM
If the unit has been de-commisioned and sealed as you say then chances are the refrigerant has been pumped back to the outdoor unit, esp if it's Daikin as their pump down procedure is v easy.
So you may not need any refrigerant, unless there's a leak in the unit, in which case... run for the hills.

leftjobrunning
08-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Good enough. I just wanted to mention it. If I had assumed, I had a 50-50 chance.;)

PS. I hate to assume anything. You know what that word means when you break it apart in context don't you?:D
LOL, that's a blast from the past, my old english teacher used to say that all the time, it makes an ass out of u and me!