PDA

View Full Version : lol

wolf
30-07-2006, 10:01 AM
What is the best way to explain customer he need a new unit a/c ....

Toosh
30-07-2006, 01:26 PM
What is the best way to explain customer he need a new unit a/c ....

Well the first question should be how much is it costing to keep the existing one running

Regards

Toosh

Brian_UK
30-07-2006, 11:45 PM
What is the best way to explain customer he need a new unit a/c ....Tell him the truth :)

Abe
30-07-2006, 11:47 PM
By good honest sales patter
Explain the pros and cons
Just like you trying to see anything else.......

There is no magic formula
Just gift of the gab

Dan
31-07-2006, 02:22 AM
I just went through this with a commercial customer who has already received bids as high as $80,000.00 to completely replace his unit. The unit was in a shambles, split system with ancient condensers and air handler with a brand new Copeland 20 hp R12 compressor installed which supposedly ran for a month or two.

I told him that we recommend an entire equipment replacement, and that $80,000.00 was not necessarily a bad price but we might be able to improve upon it.

But I anticipated that his budget was not ready for such an outlay and I gave him small steps ... call it $1,000.00 commitments to prove out the electrical and test the compressor. Then prove out the evaporator, air handler and condensers.

Long and short of it, we have something going and he is pleased. I am guessing a $3,000.00 bill developed thus far. We are now talking about increasing the tonnage, cleaning the coils, re-establishing heat reclaim, etc.

I would be much more comfortable with simply providing brand new equipment - no argument. What I am hoping is that we get him up and running close to design operation with modifications to his ancient equipment.

In the back of my mind, is that while we work within his budget, he grows his business, and that he will be in a position to afford the proper replacement when his store performs up to standard and he gains a strong customer base. This risk, of course, is that he throws good money after bad and I am the person who permitted this.

Abe
31-07-2006, 02:33 AM
This risk, of course, is that he throws good money after bad and I am the person who permitted this.

How could you Dan ???
:)

I work other way round, I always throw out old stuff and replace with shiny new kit, that way everything woeks out hunky dory, I look cool.......and I dont have breakdowns.

US Iceman
31-07-2006, 03:04 AM
This risk, of course, is that he throws good money after bad and I am the person who permitted this.

Dan, I wouldn't consider that your problem. You certainly did not permit it. You probably explained the pros and cons and let him make the decision right?

Of course the down side is... After some time, something else may break and he considers it your problem, because you should have know about it, etc. You have probably heard this before...

Or, he feels he has spent so much money on the old unit he will not emotionally let go of it. The financial equivalent of pounding sand in a rat hole.

When someone goes the route of repairing old equipment, I try to make sure they FULLY comprehend the ramifications. I'm sure you did that part.

Perseus
31-07-2006, 04:59 AM
You probably explained the pros and cons and let him make the decision right?
US Iceman hit it on the head.

Explain the pros and cons and give your educated opinion. An honest serviceman will most likely get the sale if the customer can afford it.

That is the most important part...be honest. It will always serve you best in the end.

wolf
31-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys the thing is i have to replace compressor on Hitachi a/c and cost is gona be about $4000 and new condensor about $6000 so i'm bit scared

Abe
31-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys the thing is i have to replace compressor on Hitachi a/c and cost is gona be about $4000 and new condensor about $6000 so i'm bit scared

Now you say Wolf!!
I had the same prob last week......see my thread on it

What you need to ascertain is why did the compressor fail.
It would be ideal if you can can get the outdoor unit into your workshop and completely overhaul it, check each component throughly, make sure all the lines clean and electronics, valves are working.

If satisfied, then you can safely change compressor .

The less hassle, method, with fewer worries is change the outdoor unit, because the cost of doing all the work will at end of day work out same as replacing the old unit

Explain the situation to customer, ask the age, service history.

Good luck