PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a room: 14',9',9' cool

audioaddict
28-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi there

Im a total newb so go easy :)
Im in a high rise block so i cant attach any equipment to the outside of the building.
In the room i have a G5 running and 2 powerfull 150w active speakers adding to the warmth.
there are three large north east facing windows.
I dont want to spend much money especially as i'll only be using the cooling a few weeks a year (england:rolleyes:) and if it could also do a spot of heating in the winter that would be great. so please could u recomend me a system:confused:

Brian_UK
28-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Is it possible for you to fit a through the wall unit or a through the window unit ?

I don't expect that you can really knock a hole in the outside wall so perhaps we'll forget that one ;)

Do you have an opening window that would allow the temporary fitting of a sheet of wood with a thru' unit fitted ?

PS, What's a 'G5'?

Andy W
29-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Do you have a balcony?

rbartlett
29-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Do you have a balcony?

Surely it's not that serious!!

Cheers

Richard

audioaddict
31-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Do you have an opening window that would allow the temporary fitting of a sheet of wood with a thru' unit fitted ?

PS, What's a 'G5'?

G5 - big apple mac compter with 9 fans in it to cool it down...but not me..

ive worked out that it would be quite simple to replace one of the smaller window panes with a wood panel in which i could cut a hole in for an Exaust hose. Which i guess would narrow it down to portable units, been doing my homework:)

i came across this model from Junwel(??) but i cant tell if its as good as it looks in the pictures..does look tasty tho :D

http://www.junwel.com/product/90/495/702

p.s. unfortunately i dont have a balcony, thanks for the help peeps :)

Paulajayne
31-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi

Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230012411195&category=20711

Paula

audioaddict
31-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi

Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230012411195&category=20711

Paula

Hi thanks paula, i saw that too but i'm just not sure if its any good. :confused:

Brian_UK
31-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Nice looking product there Paula, interesting power usage though ???

Cooling:-
Output - 3.2 kW
Input - 0.95 kW

Heating:
Output - 2.0 kW
Input - 2.05 kW

Paulajayne
03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Nice looking product there Paula, interesting power usage though ???

Cooling:-
Output - 3.2 kW
Input - 0.95 kW

Heating:
Output - 2.0 kW
Input - 2.05 kW

Well spotted Brian

Defies the laws of physics on the cooling side -

Paula

Jez
09-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Defies the laws of physics on the cooling side -

Errrrm. I think that Brian may have been questioning the heating figures. Looks like electric heating, rather than reverse cycle heat pump.

MadApprentice
10-08-2006, 12:09 AM
do you own or rent? If you own and you have lots of money, we have installed ducted splitsystems for people,in apartment buildings. they have a huge pipe run and these went up 3 floors to the roof plant room.

If you rent possibly somthing portable would be ok. You can just unplug them and take them with you, but they generally arent as effiecent as split systems. I would avoid window units because they can be quite noisy and might upset the neigbors

i would avoid buying the cheapest model on the market, and i woudnt buy somthing based onhorse power, buy it on its kw capacity. trust me, paya little more and get a brand with a goo reputation. Daiken is normally the best if you can afford them. Mitsubishi heavy are alo very good units.

Hope that helps

MadApprentice
10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
oh and if possible go slightly larger in unit capacity. It is much better (in my experience) to have a larger unit working less and changing the temperature easier than a smaller unit that consumes a lot of electricity and struggles to change the temperature

hope that helps