PDA

View Full Version : panasonic 3 phase split

mike live
27-07-2006, 05:38 PM
a panasonic (r22) split system has threw up a fault code of f 30 (only one split being controlled of the controller) . the manuel states that there is a problem with the outside unit. to cut a story short the voltage across the red and blue phase is 1.5v but between red/yellow and yellow/blue are both 415v . this is even the same at the dis board (tried disconnecting the s.w.a. feed to the isolator but still the same). if any one could explain how this could accour and what effect it will have to the condensing unit.

rbartlett
27-07-2006, 06:23 PM
a panasonic (r22) split system has threw up a fault code of f 30 (only one split being controlled of the controller) . the manuel states that there is a problem with the outside unit. to cut a story short the voltage across the red and blue phase is 1.5v but between red/yellow and yellow/blue are both 415v . this is even the same at the dis board (tried disconnecting the s.w.a. feed to the isolator but still the same). if any one could explain how this could accour and what effect it will have to the condensing unit.

the only possible way i can think of is the red and blue are being fed off the same phase..

anyone else ??

cheers

richard

stuartwking
27-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi mike, Whats the readings between the 3 lives and the neutral??

mike live
27-07-2006, 06:36 PM
with a visual check i can see the feeds for the dis board come straight from the meter. at the time i checked voltage down to earth on each phase and got 240v, but as i've said across the red and the blue phase theres no voltage. i eventually checked the board supply from the meter and hadthe same out come , no voltage between red and blue but 240v down to earth. needless to say i've told the customer that they need an electrian but would like to know if anyone had any ideas.

think i remember testing the 3 phases down to neutral and had the same. checked earth to neutral just incaes but there was no voltage on neutral a so that rules that out

frank
27-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Have you tried a phase checker? http://www.martindale-electric.co.uk/misc.htm#mm42

knighty
27-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not a refrigeration engeneer... but I had a similar problem with freezer at work.... turned out one of the 3 phase contactors (not sure on the technical term for them... the little boxes with the magnet in the middle that jumps in and out)

anyway... the contactor had burnt out, disconnected one of the positives and shorted it to another :o

mike live
27-07-2006, 08:27 PM
looks like i'll have to spend some money on a phase checker.(cheers frank) would like to know though if i did have a phase supply down how would there be 240v to earth on that phase ?

frank
27-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Voltage and phase are 2 different things ;)

Ian Neill
27-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi , I had a problem similar to this a while back . I traced the fault back to the main dis board were there was a loose/faulty connection on the breaker ..this may be the same thing???

bebad
27-07-2006, 09:08 PM
mike live, or not so as the case is, is this a new install,assume not bein on 22. Can,t understand your fault code, is it a 3phase outdoor? surely fault code of missing phase would display don't you tink? do you have a 'volt stick', try that to check phases coming into board, far cheaper than rotation checker + whats rotation checker gonna tell you more than you allready know? not a lot. keeping things simple, i've never needed one and I'm really simple;)

mike live
27-07-2006, 09:21 PM
will probably go for the volt stick test (cheers debad)

if frank could further explain the difference between voltage and phases i would like to know more ?

rbartlett
27-07-2006, 09:33 PM
mike live, or not so as the case is, is this a new install,assume not bein on 22. Can,t understand your fault code, is it a 3phase outdoor? surely fault code of missing phase would display don't you tink? do you have a 'volt stick', try that to check phases coming into board, far cheaper than rotation checker + whats rotation checker gonna tell you more than you allready know? not a lot. keeping things simple, i've never needed one and I'm really simple;)

A phase checker will confirm if you have the right 3 phases and they are in sync. a volt stick will tell you if you have voltage-but no indication of what the voltage actually is or which phase either .

A volt stick is not a instrument of measurement merely an indicator and not a suitable substitute for a skilled engineer..use with caution as this is of absolutely no use in this instance

cheers

richard

rbartlett
27-07-2006, 09:39 PM
will probably go for the volt stick test (cheers debad)

if frank could further explain the difference between voltage and phases i would like to know more ?

you tested with a meter now you think a red neon will solve the problem...!!!!

cheers

richard

Brian_UK
27-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Thoughts:-

Red or blue phase blown but shorted, draw that out and you will get your volt readings.

Isolate dist. board and remove MCB.

Check dist. board phases at MCB position.

Check MCB.

Check condensing unit isolator for breaks/welds, failure.

Check condensing unit contactor for breaks/welds, failure.

Check cable.

Get coffee, call office, declare a national holiday and go home. ;)

bebad
27-07-2006, 10:58 PM
:( with a 'neon' and multi meter is all that i believe to be needed to identify the conditions/fault a skilled engineer should surely only need to employ these if not just one of to confirm fault, as frank states its more than likely fault is on 3 pole mcb or main switch gear to board, maybe incoming fuse gear. still don't see the need for rotation test.

bebad
27-07-2006, 11:00 PM
also don't bother to buy rotation tester if one is fitted to condenser like in many cases does your system have fault code relevant

mike live
11-08-2006, 11:50 PM
just would like to finally explain true problem of the lack of 415v across the phases. comes down to roadworks in the area. contractors had dug up a power cabel and therefore disconecting one of the phases to the petrol station. the reason i was getting 240v on the phase was due to tracking back off another phase. (well this was what the sparky tells me)

Langer
13-08-2006, 12:36 AM
just would like to finally explain true problem of the lack of 415v across the phases. comes down to roadworks in the area. contractors had dug up a power cabel and therefore disconecting one of the phases to the petrol station. the reason i was getting 240v on the phase was due to tracking back off another phase. (well this was what the sparky tells me)

Was going to ask if you disconected the power and all. Its the same with checking anything, back feed
can put you off. Thought someone would have pointed this out to you. :rolleyes:

frank
18-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Thought someone would have pointed this out to you. :rolleyes:

This would have been shown up by the phase tester but spending money on a decent piece of kit was ridiculed earlier in the thread.

Just can't help some people :rolleyes: ;) :D