PDA

View Full Version : Hinari and how far to open valves

stryker
27-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I recently bought a hinari split system from focus. I must same I'm pretty happy with it appart from the TERRIBLE manual. The manual was wrong regarding the ingenious coupler that connects the two units (pre charged setup). The manual also did not mention having to open the two valves on the heat exchanger outside (the smaller supply and larger return valves). So in short for a while the system had run with them closed thus no cooling.... I'm amazed the pump survived it.

Anyway, on to my question. The supply and return valves are typical for these split systems.... The usual nut cap with a hex key adjuster inside. At this time I have them open one turn each.

Question is "are they open enough?". I can hear a rush of gas, not escaping gas but gas going through the valves, kind of how a tap sounds running a garden hose when the tap is half open... IE hiss/whoosh as water goes through the tap, allbeit restricted.

Thanks in advance.

Sir Josiah Sodd
27-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Open both valves (Anti-clockwise) with an allen key until they are fully open.
Make sure that the caps are back on and tight - valve stems can leak.

stryker
27-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok, thanks for that.

Also for the record, given what I've read there are concerns about these retail DIY aircon kits. I think you guys should clearly state your services regarding installing such units, I for one would of hired someone, could I of found someone in short notice.... my little daughter age 2.5 was suffering last weekend with a cold and the heat was killing her.... the hinari was all I could find.... one good bit of weather any anything that moves air is snapped up :-)

Sir Josiah Sodd
27-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Most of these DIY sheds offering a/c units are buying badged equipment from China. They ship 'em in by the container load.

Generally, the build quality is poor and the ability to support their a/c products within the DIY shed business is usually non-existent because they just don't have the expertise.

So, I'm afraid if anything goes wrong that needs even the most rudimentary service you will, most likely, pay top whack for the priviledge.

A reputable installer would have provided a complete package, including warranty.

Unless you want the thing for just the next few days of exceptionally hot weather, you may be spending a fiver to save a quid.

stryker
27-07-2006, 05:59 PM
On the upside, it served as a very cheap introduction to me for home aircon and you can rest assured I already feel I'll never be without it for the rest of my days... plus I know to buy better next time so thats another customer in the UK :-)

frank
27-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I'll never be without it for the rest of my days... plus I know to buy better next time so thats another customer in the UK :-)

After running it with the valves closed and without a proper evacuation process that may be sooner than you think :D :eek:

IceMan08
14-04-2008, 01:47 AM
After running it with the valves closed and without a proper evacuation process that may be sooner than you think :D :eek:
ha ha, that made me chuckle! someone recently asked me If I thought a DIY unit was worthwhile, I said no, a desk fan with an ice cube in front of it would last longer, I spose they are kind of a good idea if you know what cooling power you want but they just feel.....wrong!