PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the Army-looking for a job/advice

united002
25-07-2006, 06:15 PM
:confused:

Hi its my first post here so be gentle!

Im due to leave the army in march next year but im being released for resettlement from end of oct this year. ive got C&G Maint & repair of Plant, C&G basic engineering competences, NVQ 3 Refrigeration, Army equivalent in Air Con, CITB safe handling and pipework and brazing (in date), C&G Intro to elec and safe isolation. What are your recommendations on extra courses to get before i leave? (im thinking ammonia or getting CORGI registered). I will be living in the Grimsby area any recommendations on companys?

Sorry for the long post but im after all the advice i can get before i get out in the big wide world

thanks

euan

Andy
25-07-2006, 07:51 PM
:confused:

Hi its my first post here so be gentle!

Im due to leave the army in march next year but im being released for resettlement from end of oct this year. ive got C&G Maint & repair of Plant, C&G basic engineering competences, NVQ 3 Refrigeration, Army equivalent in Air Con, CITB safe handling and pipework and brazing (in date), C&G Intro to elec and safe isolation. What are your recommendations on extra courses to get before i leave? (im thinking ammonia or getting CORGI registered). I will be living in the Grimsby area any recommendations on companys?

Sorry for the long post but im after all the advice i can get before i get out in the big wide world

thanks

euan

Hi euan:)

your qualifications are good, you will have no problem getting a job:)

Ammonia is more Industrial Refrigeration and a bit of a jump from Aircon

Possibly look at the Aircon route, VRV (Variable Refrigerant Volume) type packaged systems are everywhere (basically a speed driven compressor system with lots of electronics). Also chilled water systems are becoming the in thing on large A/C systems.

Pay levels for engineers working at these would be better that the Industrial Fridge game.:(

Grimsby College is a very good College, I know guys from Scotland who have travelled to study there:) Check them out

Good Luck:)

Kind Regards Andy:)

united002
25-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Hiya:)
thanks for the reply, we covered VRV and chilled water on our course, its basically an NVQ 3 in air con but the army wouldnt pay for someone to re-write the course to match the NVQ assesment numbers, cheapskates, one of our instructors had done a lot of work on ammonia and i fancied having a go. im going ot get in touch with grimsby college

thanks for the advice mate:)

euan

thermo690
25-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Hiya:)
thanks for the reply, we covered VRV and chilled water on our course, its basically an NVQ 3 in air con but the army wouldnt pay for someone to re-write the course to match the NVQ assesment numbers, cheapskates, one of our instructors had done a lot of work on ammonia and i fancied having a go. im going ot get in touch with grimsby college

thanks for the advice mate:)

euan

Hi Euan what do you do in the Army ? I was in and now work in the transport side of refrigeration

Martin

united002
25-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi mate
My current trade is fitter air conditioning and refrigeration in the royal engineers, i got the chance to re-treade from fitter RE a few years ago and jumped at it! what were you in? did you find it easy getting work when you got out?

euan

bernard
25-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Euan

I was in the R.E.M.E and spent 5 years in hameln Germany with the engineers.

I would advice that you look at air/con.Part of your resettlement allows you to work for a company while still serving.The army will cover your insurance etc.

Your qualifications are good and hopefully someone will snap you up.

If its the money and varity your after then look at supermarket refrigeration,but be prepaired to work the hours.

Good luck.

Bernard

frank
26-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Living in Grimsby when you get out you ought to consider Industrial Refrig. We have a couple of customers in Grimsby and I'm amazed at the concentration of deep freeze storage facilities there - you pass loads on the main road. Obviously all associated with the storage of FISH :)

Don't think you would go far wrong and plenty of work available.

thermo690
27-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi mate
My current trade is fitter air conditioning and refrigeration in the royal engineers, i got the chance to re-treade from fitter RE a few years ago and jumped at it! what were you in? did you find it easy getting work when you got out?

euan

I was with the RA (driver Mech) no worries on getting work if can turn a spanner your in :)

kfjoe
06-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Hello sapper (euan)

im an ex royal engineer fridge mech too , now working in comercial refrigeration mainly .
your qualifications stand you in good stead, you shouldnt have a problem
my actual hands on was the only thing i was slightly lacking , but this soon comes

and there are some damn good engineers on this forum always ready to help , this site is a great help

just thought i would say hi and good luck :)

another sapper

Paulajayne
07-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys

I am ex REME - Art Weapons - just somehow drifted into industrial refrigeration.

Paula

united002
07-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi kfjoe
Did you find a job easily and would you recommend any courses for resettlement? Im stuck in the Falklnds at the moment as the Provo Cpl (whats that all about !!) but ive manged to arrange to spend three mornings a week with the local fridge company working round the base to get my hands on again.

any suggestions are more than welcome

euan

bernard
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi

Is the crab and sprocket bar still on the go,I spent the millenium in the Falklands,nearly lost my kidneys in that bar,what a tour:) :) :)

Bernard:) :) :)

kfjoe
07-08-2006, 07:00 PM
First a Big hello to all the ex squaddies :D

yes i had no problem at all finding a job euan , you should have no problem at all .
i would probally reccomend air-con or commercial fridge , industrial might be bit more of a learning curve , but if your happy with that then its not a problem .

as for courses , i did 16th edition electrical and a refrigeration/air con course as a refresher .
but to be honest i wouldnt bother with the refrig/aircon course i found it too basic.
some sort of electrical bias course might be usefull like the citb ones i think. i didnt really do much 3 phase stuff while i was in the army.

but to be honest you have pretty much all the quals you need , just try to get as much hands on as you can
you should be able to get a uk posting for your last 6 months , see if you can get some civie detachment

i thought about doing corgi , but it was too much , although i still keep thinking about it every now and then

honestly dont think you will have any problem mate
let me know how things go

PS . how are the penguins ? :)

Ubique

frank
07-08-2006, 09:10 PM
ive manged to arrange to spend three mornings a week with the local fridge company working round the base to get my hands on again.

Last summer we had a lad from the local Falklands fridge company (Port Stanley) across here in the UK at Basford Hall studying for his qualifications. Can't remember his name just at the mo - think it's Neil - but his grandad lives in Nottingham and he stayed with him while he was here. When he finished his course he came to work with us for a month until his flight was due from Brize Norton. Nice lad, hope he's doing well.

Has lots of tales about penguins and other things :D

united002
09-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi
Yes bernard the crab and sprocket bar is still here!!
Its a small world Frank the fridge mech im working with is the Neil your on about, ive told him about you mentioning him and he's going to have a look at the site.

Euan