PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

Superheatman
21-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi..I promise that this is genuine...one of our management was doing a favour for a big customer of ours while he was in a particular area by surveying a small workshop office in london...he found a ceiling mounted cassette unit which the office manager said had been installed for two years....he also stated that the unit seemed to work fine in the winter but was not very efficient in the summer.
The fan was blowing fine ...so ...curiosity aroused our guy utilised a set of steps in the workshop and popped out a ceiling tile between the cassette and the outside wall(there were another eight floors above)..he found a pair of pipes which came through the outside wall but were not connected to anything...he called down to the manager ...that here is the problem....your unit is not even connected....he then gave the pipes a slight tug and they came free from the wall and were loose in his hand????....it gets better
The manager said....no you are mistaken...the guys who fitted it had some sort of problem with the piping so they connected it directly to the water supply...he indicated a sink on the wall of the workshop..wherein there was a tap with a hose connecter attached...the hose running up the wall and into the celing void.....there was another hose taped to the first one which ran back down the wall and was open to the sink???
Are you getting it yet??....our guy pulled off another couple of tiles and there was the liquid line....sawn off upstream of the TEV...hose attached.....the suction outlet was also sawn off and the drain hose fitted with a jubilee clip....the guy had been told that because of the "problems" the installers had had that when he wanted to run the AC he had to turn the tap on....this put mains water through the DX coil with the fan blowing across gave some sort of cooling effect in the winter when the mains was quite cool but was less efficient in the summer when the mains water temperature rose considerably???...the water then ran back into the sink to drain.
The "installers" had obviously disappeared off the face of the earth....is this a candidate for the hall of infamy??
Regards Superheatman.

frank
21-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Not really a DX system - more - a sort of "chilled water" set up :D

What controlled it????????? :p

Superheatman
21-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Not really a DX system - more - a sort of "chilled water" set up :D

What controlled it????????? :p

I gather that when the guy wanted cooling he turned on the tap and switched on the unit fan.

NoNickName
21-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I just did the same in a plant where remote dx coils were connected to a compressor, belt and pulley to a 30 years old unknown motor and seized.
I cut everything and rebuilt with a chiller and a water pump. It works a treat.

US Iceman
21-07-2006, 08:33 PM
I would interested to know if the condensing unit was part of the installed price, or if the water hoses were manufacturer recommended options.:D

Good lord. Just when you thought you had heard every unbelievable story... along comes a really good one.

NoNickName
22-07-2006, 11:52 AM
That's the force of desperation. Chocolat was melting and didn't have any time to rebuilt the condensing unit. I had a spare chiller around. In 6 hours it turned from a dx system into a cw.

Dan
23-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I deleted Slingblade's response. It added nothing to the argument. Sorry Slingblade.

Dan
23-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I can't win. I will leave that one in if it finishes things for you, Slingblade. :)

slingblade
23-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, thank you.:)

WebRam
23-07-2006, 02:10 PM
whew ............... removes finger from the "big red button"

:)

Andy
23-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Yes, thank you.:)

Slingblade is that your company logo on your avatar:D

Kind Regards Andy:)

wambat
24-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Heaven knows I wouldn't want to up set any one but I think Slingblade should be promoted to "semantic interpreter I" for his fine prose. Why to go SB! :>)

slingblade
25-07-2006, 09:14 PM
whew ............... removes finger from the "big red button"

:)

Ive seen those in james bond films. next to the big red phone with no buttons on it on the Russian generals desk. you dont want to press that all hell might break loose.

Heaven knows I wouldn't want to up set any one but I think Slingblade should be promoted to "semantic interpreter I" for his fine prose. Why to go SB! :>)

Thank you. I am considering an application for the next moderators position that comes up.:D

Slingblade is that your company logo on your avatar

Kind Regards Andy

ive changed it now anyway. i think that dress suited murdock dont you?

US Iceman
25-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I take it you are a fan of the old A-Team TV shows?

slingblade
26-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I take it you are a fan of the old A-Team TV shows?

I used to love them when i was young, more for the one liners than the action.