PDA

View Full Version : Stal-Levin open drive oil temps

Chris Burton
20-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm currently working on a fully pumped R22 cold store with Stal-Levin U4 open drive recips. I found a number of TEV's supplying the oil coolers to be faulty which i have repaired. What is the optimum oil temp? I've currently got them controling the oil at about 30'c with the cooler danfoss CPP regulator at 5 bar. :confused:

Andy
21-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm currently working on a fully pumped R22 cold store with Stal-Levin U4 open drive recips. I found a number of TEV's supplying the oil coolers to be faulty which i have repaired. What is the optimum oil temp? I've currently got them controling the oil at about 30'c with the cooler danfoss CPP regulator at 5 bar. :confused:

Oil temp works best in any recip about 55 deg c.:)

45 deg c is as low as I would go and 65 deg c on mineral oil and 90 deg c on AB or PAO.

Still 55 deg is the best:)

kind Regards Andy.

Chris Burton
22-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks Andy i'll raise those temperatures with CPP valve

Andy
22-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Oil temp works best in any recip about 55 deg c.:)

45 deg c is as low as I would go and 65 deg c on mineral oil and 90 deg c on AB or PAO.

Still 55 deg is the best:)

kind Regards Andy.

I mean't to say oil max temp of 65 deg c on mineral and 90 deg c on AB or PAO

kind Regards Andy:)

Chris Burton
23-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Funny enough i thought that sounded a bit high as a running temp but as i've only recently started working on industrial fridge plant i did'nt want to argue with the expert:D Having spent nearly all of my time on chillers i only came across oil coolers on centrifs which have sump temps of 35c & a max temp of 60c. With the oil coolers not working the stal's oil temp is 55c & they have been losing lots of oil past the seperator. Thanks again for your help & if you have any probs with chillers or carel controls give me a shout.

Andy
23-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Funny enough i thought that sounded a bit high as a running temp but as i've only recently started working on industrial fridge plant i did'nt want to argue with the expert:D Having spent nearly all of my time on chillers i only came across oil coolers on centrifs which have sump temps of 35c & a max temp of 60c. With the oil coolers not working the stal's oil temp is 55c & they have been losing lots of oil past the seperator. Thanks again for your help & if you have any probs with chillers or carel controls give me a shout.

55 deg c oil would be fine:) If the compressor is using lots of oil and cooler oil helps, it's wear in the compressor.

Try and get the original compressor design, it will have the oil temp on it.

We were Stal agent years ago the Stal info in in the Archive, if you are stuck, real stuck I can look it up.

Try Sabroe Uk I know that one of their guys is ex Stal. Also one of Mycom Uk's guys is ex Stal.

Kind Regards Andy:)

Chris Burton
01-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi andy found the details on oil temp eventually, it states min temp 20 c max temp 60 c depending on design saturated evap temp

Andy
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi andy found the details on oil temp eventually, it states min temp 20 c max temp 60 c depending on design saturated evap temp
Only if and but I would add is that the oil temp should be 10k above condensing, keeps refrigerant from condensing in the sump.

Glad to see you got sorted out.

Kind Regards Andy:)