PDA

View Full Version : R600a

fireblade
19-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Was wondering if anyone has used R600a,
appart from the dangers of it being explosive being iso butaine.

1....Can it be charged the same way as...say R134a
as a domestic appliance engineer, all new fridges/freezers are being built with R600a.

2.... does the 600a canister have to be at a certain temp, and does the canister have to be used inverted ??

Thanks

rbartlett
19-07-2006, 09:16 PM
I went on the color training course due to the Sydney olympics being 'cfc' free and we were the service company for the catering equipment supplier.

sadly although I offered many many times I didn't get to go but 750valve here did the servicing as he lived there..

They were very cautious about the risk of explosion but I feel it was over egged -like most things.
they reclaimed a foster 134a fridge and put in 60% and it worked a treat.

like all things treat with respect but don't be afraid

cheers

richard

NoNickName
20-07-2006, 12:10 PM
HC are in many respects as good as or even better than HFCs, but they carry their grade of risk.

Johnny Rod
20-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I would suggest you go on a refresher-type course to learn about the differences with HCs, and so you have something in your training record.

As RB says the charge is a lot smaller - HCs are a lot less dense than fluorocarbons. Isobutane/R600a/Care 40 is a single fluid so you don't have to charge by liquid phase, but you should really as the vapour phase in the cylinder will contain a lot more non-condensable gases (as with fluorocarbons) and moisture (unlike fluorocarbons), so charging from liquid phase will mean better quality refrigerant. As to right side up or upside down, it depends if there's a dip pipe in the cylinder.

fireblade
20-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks all, iam gonna do the one day Boc course, which will add to my City and guilds certs.
just seems many suppliers that i spoke to dont keep R600a, prob cos of the dangers ????

old gas bottle
20-07-2006, 08:12 PM
go on the course chap,its the pressures and how it acts thats totaly differant,do give it respect like allways braze with open ends in a well vented area [outside if poss]and reclaim and vac pumps should have a ip rating,sealed switches/motors, etc [sparkproof].i hated the stuff.

slingblade
20-07-2006, 09:07 PM
forgive me if i am wrong but IP is weatherproof rating. an antispark or explosion proof device would be EEXD.

And "Fireblade". that is an interesting choice of name. do you posess a dangerous motorcyle by any chance?

fireblade
20-07-2006, 11:24 PM
SLINGBLADE.......

yep, have a 1996 blade, its a fast bike, but now 10 years on, they are lighter and much more torque,

prefere the new R1 !!!

superfly
21-07-2006, 12:33 PM
hi
I use r600a all the time.It is charged as a liquid and ideally weighed in rather than gauged in.In domestic refrig,when doing a regas,lockrings are used to replace driers although you blow system thru with dry nitrogen if you want to braze.

superfly
21-07-2006, 12:46 PM
r6ooa runs in a vacuum -15 to -18 psi on low bck pressure compressors and boiling off temp is about -11.5c. email me you more info.

old gas bottle
23-07-2006, 09:29 AM
errrrrrrrr,your right slingblade,just had a senior moment,you know what i mean though !

slingblade
23-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I do indeed know what you mean.
I just try to steer clear of domestics at all times so very infrequently come by R600.

Brian_UK
23-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey Superfly, welcome to the forum and thanks for the input.