PDA

View Full Version : Mice

Abe
13-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I saw this today and I thought about a breakdown I had last week on an AC unit.

Customer said ac unit had simply stopped working. I found the mains power at distribution point ok, no tripped circuit breakers, but no power at inlet to outdoor unit. Cabling was long and through recessed ceiling........but i was lucky. At the cored out access hole ( external wall) the hole was left unfilled, a mouse had got in, chewed the .25mm cable, ate a chunk of insulation....the live wire was chewed , .....the mouse was still on top, very dead.

What I want to know is, Why do mice chew through electric cable, why did he eat the insulation?

Read this:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=100017

AA may discount that mice posed a danger.......Going along my experience, I think they pose a very real danger.

NoNickName
13-07-2006, 11:50 AM
:eek::eek:

Toolman
13-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes mice also like the warm condensing unit area and are found there ..... I like it better when a CAT curls up in a large open drive condensing unit fan housing while is on a long off cycle or defrost. And then whammo!! the units starts and the cat looses its 9 lives . No sleep lost here when I discover this kind of fault in a unit . I'm a dog lover

frank
13-07-2006, 07:14 PM
The RATS love it too and pigeons love armaflex :D

Krups
17-08-2006, 07:45 PM
iv seen many a pigeon and rat, but no cats yet...

heres hoping

bernard
17-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi

I,ve been swooped on many a time by seagulls when their eggs are next to a condensing unit:eek:

Regards Bernard

The MG Pony
21-08-2006, 01:01 AM
they like the oil in the rubber, cows will eat all the wiring out of a tractor if you leave it in the field with them and they can get at it.

Abe
21-08-2006, 11:50 AM
iv seen many a pigeon and rat, but no cats yet...

heres hoping

Krups

The " moggies" wild alley cats just adore outside external condensing units. Theres an Italian place in Highfield Street where I have to regularly clean the fluff off the coils.

Cat hasnt been hit on the head yet because of fan guard

dakesojo
21-08-2006, 03:20 PM
i found 6 dead rats in an old prestcold condensing unit totally destroyed plastic fan blade so i fitted a metal blade and now its like a guillotine :eek: