PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel valves

Tycho
13-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I am currently supervising the rebuild of a factory trawler, and we are for the first time using all stainless in the factory area of the ship...

we are using Herl valves, and oh man those things are heavy... I have never really liked Herl, cause the previous valves we have used from them have required two men and three meters of pipe as a lever to turn the spindle...

these ones turned nicely however, but a DN 80 valve weighed close to 20 Kg... I picked one up and carried it out to another engineer, and held it up in one hand, trying not to turn red or sound strained as asked him if he could hold it and guess what he thought it weigh...

He grabbed the handwheel, and as soon as he had his hands on I let go, and he stumbled two steps forward going Whooooah :)

anyone else have any experience with herl, or any other manufacture of stainless steel valves?

mikew
13-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah. big valves like this make me go woooh.

Andy
13-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I am currently supervising the rebuild of a factory trawler, and we are for the first time using all stainless in the factory area of the ship...

we are using Herl valves, and oh man those things are heavy... I have never really liked Herl, cause the previous valves we have used from them have required two men and three meters of pipe as a lever to turn the spindle...

these ones turned nicely however, but a DN 80 valve weighed close to 20 Kg... I picked one up and carried it out to another engineer, and held it up in one hand, trying not to turn red or sound strained as asked him if he could hold it and guess what he thought it weigh...

He grabbed the handwheel, and as soon as he had his hands on I let go, and he stumbled two steps forward going Whooooah :)

anyone else have any experience with herl, or any other manufacture of stainless steel valves?

Herl valves are expensive and brutal:D

Danvalve also make stainless versionsof there valves, as with Robinet RS Hansen and AWP.

I remember a 6" discharge Herl SOV 15 foot up that I had to use a stilson and 5 foot of pipe to crack off the back seat, now that was fun on a ladder:D

Kind Regards Andy:)

Tycho
31-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Just thought I'd give an update on this...

My first post here was made as I first got the shipment of valves.

I got some flack in the office because the ship owner approached me all proud that they were to be one of the first ships in the fleet with all stainless valves in the factory area and asked me what my thoughts were on the valves and I told him straight out that "my only experience with the Herl valves has been on ships where they are operated maybe once a year for general maintenance, they are heavy as H to operate, and I have had many that leak over internally even after I have used a 3 foot piece of pipe on my wrench to tighten it. off the record and I have never told you this, I would recommend you go for Danfoss on the suction and hotgas valve"

two days later my boss was in fits because I had said this, because the ship owner had called and inquired about their opinion on herl/danfoss.

I told my boss that the shipowner had asked my opinion, and that I'm not going to stand there and lie to his face and say that herl valves is the best choice when what I know says that danfoss is better both in availability and servicability.
-------------------

as of today, three of the suction valves has siezed and Herl does not answer the phone, does not respond to emails, and when they do they give a minimum delivery time of 6 months. the valves can not be serviced, since they have a bellow seal, if they break, you have to change the complete valve insert.

so the three valves has been replaced with Danfoss valves (not stainless, but at least they are working) and every time I am on board and the valves are mentioned I have to strain myself really hard not to say "do you remember what I said?"

----------------------

Herl probably has good valves, but they are not meant to be operated on a daily basis... as I said, they (sometimes) work well when you only have to operate them once a year.

---------------------

besides, danfoss now has a stainless range, but I think the largest dimension is DN65

Andy
31-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi Tyco:)

robinet also make stainless valves, in larger sizes than Danfoss I think.

They may also be better than Danfoss.

Kind Regards Andy:)

wholesaler nh3
05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
REGARDING SUPPORT ON HERL

My company i work for Refrico is taken over parker herl i scandinavia backup since this summer (scandinavia)
we know that get answer from parker herl is not easy

please go in on :refrico.se
and you can find more informations
we are a wholesaler for all the industrial nh3 market
with maintarget scandinavian market
and yes danfoss is much easier to handle in weight
we sell both types of valves :D

Just thought I'd give an update on this...

My first post here was made as I first got the shipment of valves.

I got some flack in the office because the ship owner approached me all proud that they were to be one of the first ships in the fleet with all stainless valves in the factory area and asked me what my thoughts were on the valves and I told him straight out that "my only experience with the Herl valves has been on ships where they are operated maybe once a year for general maintenance, they are heavy as H to operate, and I have had many that leak over internally even after I have used a 3 foot piece of pipe on my wrench to tighten it. off the record and I have never told you this, I would recommend you go for Danfoss on the suction and hotgas valve"

two days later my boss was in fits because I had said this, because the ship owner had called and inquired about their opinion on herl/danfoss.

I told my boss that the shipowner had asked my opinion, and that I'm not going to stand there and lie to his face and say that herl valves is the best choice when what I know says that danfoss is better both in availability and servicability.
-------------------

as of today, three of the suction valves has siezed and Herl does not answer the phone, does not respond to emails, and when they do they give a minimum delivery time of 6 months. the valves can not be serviced, since they have a bellow seal, if they break, you have to change the complete valve insert.

so the three valves has been replaced with Danfoss valves (not stainless, but at least they are working) and every time I am on board and the valves are mentioned I have to strain myself really hard not to say "do you remember what I said?"

----------------------

Herl probably has good valves, but they are not meant to be operated on a daily basis... as I said, they (sometimes) work well when you only have to operate them once a year.

---------------------

besides, danfoss now has a stainless range, but I think the largest dimension is DN65