PDA

View Full Version : Heat pumps a bonus for House buyers?

mick2me
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Couldnt find the political section..?

Big news (in the UK at least), our governments plans to build more nuclear power stations. Opponents say they should build more wind farms?

One thing I do agree with, they wish to encourage us to use less energy. Heat pumps could be part of the answer?

What about some grants to assist buyers in this new market?
http://www.nottstalgia.com/forums/html/emoticons/tony.gif

Given the rising cost of energy, do you think a heat pump fitted to a house increases its value? or atractiveness to a prospective buyer compared with a similar house with no Air Conditioning and heated by another means?

bebad
13-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I totally agree, Part ' L ', of regs, should explain a lot more, they are/ we are on the way.
Lots to consider in untapped market as such.

frank
13-07-2006, 01:34 PM
One thing I do agree with, they wish to encourage us to use less energy. Heat pumps could be part of the answer?

They do already. :)

If you engage a company to supply and install inverter driven heat pump equipment then you only pay 5% VAT instead of 17.5%.

In the commercial field the incentives are under the Enhanced Capital Allowance Scheme. WWW.ECA.GOV.UK

mick2me
13-07-2006, 11:00 PM

If you engage a company to supply and install inverter driven heat pump equipment then you only pay 5% VAT instead of 17.5%.

In the commercial field the incentives are under the Enhanced Capital Allowance Scheme. WWW.ECA.GOV.UK (http://www.ECA.GOV.UK)

I dont think this applies to domestic, or does it Frank?

mick2me
14-07-2006, 09:47 PM
I totally agree, Part ' L ', of regs, should explain a lot more, they are/ we are on the way.
Lots to consider in untapped market as such.

Another Notts Lad ;)

Is it me or is this section of RE slow?
Maybe its the Sub Forum thing.

What about house prices?
Will they increase with a good AC system installed?

As with the increase in cars fitted with AC, Those without now dont sell too well?

frank
14-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I dont think this applies to domestic, or does it Frank?
Yes it does. :) 5% vodka and tonic for domestic customers

mick2me
14-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes it does. :) 5% vodka and tonic for domestic customers

Thanks Frank

Perhaps there needs to be more publicity from the government?

Jamie
17-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Here in New Zealand (Deep south Island anyway) the main source of heating for a new is house is a heat pump!
I arrived looking for radiators in a house and found a couple of daikin heat pumps and this was the case in 90% of the houses.Gas is expensive and comes in cylinders but power isnt cheap either.But due to inverter technology they are cheaper to run, and good brands are now rated to -15 which is required down this way :(

old gas bottle
17-08-2006, 07:38 AM
just fitted a low wall mount mitsi inverta in my new extension,will know better over the winter,we all gotta try something, japan seems to be leading the way with domestic fuel cells.

Electrocoolman
20-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi...a couple of notes on this thread...

VAT as stated is 5% for Domestic installations only...not shops or commercial but believe some charities can have the lower rate....need to talk to HMRC (VAT man).

Have you seen the latest SANYO AIRE75 ?...they are quoting a COP of 5 and works down to -15C. Bit pricey though.

Adrian

taz24
20-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I thought there was money available in the clear skys or blue skys grant thing offering upto 50% off install price of a heatpump for domestic and trainingtype instalations. I also did a quote for a company last year who insisted on a heat pump because as a company they were entitled to claim back 15% of the total costs.

Cheers taz.

Abe
20-10-2006, 03:03 PM

In the commercial field the incentives are under the Enhanced Capital Allowance Scheme. WWW.ECA.GOV.UK

How does it work Frank?
I pay the distributor 17.5% Vat
When I invoice my customer, Do I just charge him 5% ??

Thx in advance

gwilliamson
20-10-2006, 04:23 PM
AS far as we are concered we charge our domestic customers 5% on heat pump installs. Pay the 17.5% vat on the materials cost and in some cases claim back the difference at the end of the vat quarter. Balances out though with commercial installs so the vat bill is never tooo bad!! Hope i've got that right cos weve been doing it for a while!

Tycho
20-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Five years ago or so, we had a government fund in Norway where people could apply for financial support for installing heatpumps.

The fund had been dormant for some years when there was a big boom in sales of heatpumps due to high electricity prices.

Needless to say, the fund was closed down about six months after people started using it, not because they were out of money, but because people started using it :)

My old man got $1000 after I installed a heatpump at his house :)

But I like the idea of a fund like that.

Heatpump prices has dropped quite a bit here around $1300 for a 6.5KW panasonic inverter pump. so when I installed mine earlier this year, all it cost me was the price of the pump and I didnt really need the fund to afford it, tho it would have been nice to get some extra cash :D

Abe
21-10-2006, 03:22 PM
AS far as we are concered we charge our domestic customers 5% on heat pump installs. Pay the 17.5% vat on the materials cost and in some cases claim back the difference at the end of the vat quarter. Balances out though with commercial installs so the vat bill is never tooo bad!! Hope i've got that right cos weve been doing it for a while!

Thanks Williamson

Please confirm the following scenario:

I buy a domestic unit for £200.00 plus vat 17.5% , Total £235.00

I sell to domestic customer installed for £750.00 plus vat
Vat at 5% is £37.50

So the difference is .50p

I pay Vat man 50p ?

Thx in advance

gwilliamson
21-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Abe
Yes, thats exactly how it is. Infact on some installs the you can end up been owed vat which all helps for the quarterly bill. i.e. buy a unit & parts for £400 with 17.5% vat of £70 then install for say £1100 with vat of 5% £55. Hence you recalim £15 at the end of the quarter. However with a larger percentage of commercial installs i still end up owing the vat man but in theory i could be due a refund if i did domestic only. Hope i've got this right because i could owe a lot of money......

frank
21-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi Abe & Gwilliamson

That is exactly the way it works and, as you said, if you only did domestic installa then you would be due a VAT refund at the end of each quarter as your input tax (on sales) would be lower than your output tax (on purchases)

Tony Weston
02-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Gone Fishin is correct in saying heat pumps are the norm in NZ South Island. The Govt decided about 3 or 4 years ago to subsidise the locals, so helping to cut down with emisions from solid fuel, coal and wood fires. It works well, as the domestic market has welcomed it with open arms, together with landlords who have tennants to look after with the heating. Here in Auckland we haven't got the very low temps that the deep south experience, so we dont get help from the Govt.
I have one more comment.....
"GO THE ALL BLACKS" :D

Obi Wan
02-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Hello all,

You have seen nothing yet, watch out for the Altherma by Daikin. It replaces the boiler with a Hodro unit which is connected to a heat pump condenser.
Hot water and heating too.

Obi Wan

fixit
13-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi
I am looking closley at the Daikin Altherma nice piece of kit, just waiting for it to be released.

Regards fix

rbartlett
13-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi
I am looking closley at the Daikin Altherma nice piece of kit, just waiting for it to be released.

Regards fix

Way too dear to make it viable unless gas isn't in the street..

cheers

richard

mick2me
14-11-2006, 01:27 PM
A 'Daikin' installer I spoke to about these, did not sound too keen on the idea?

I like my baths quite hot!