PDA

View Full Version : Energy Conservation

US Iceman
08-07-2006, 12:10 AM
I found this site during a search for information on Industrial Heat Pumps and thought I would share it with all of you.

http://www.caddet.org/index.php

There are some interesting ideas at this site...

NoNickName
09-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Will browse it, thanks

tomrdewac
15-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Hello Mr. Ice Man

Question on enegy reduction in home A.C.
Would it be usefull to use Direct Fired Absorbsion air conditioning in conjuction with home central air systems. Could you use the compressor return gas to heat the DFA process. So that when the central unit is running you could also kick in the 2nd AC (DFA unit ) to run off waste heat. I hope I am making myself clear about this. The hope being for the amount of combined cooling you would get you would save power by having to run less time.
Tom

Andy
15-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Hello Mr. Ice Man

Question on enegy reduction in home A.C.
Would it be usefull to use Direct Fired Absorbsion air conditioning in conjuction with home central air systems. Could you use the compressor return gas to heat the DFA process. So that when the central unit is running you could also kick in the 2nd AC (DFA unit ) to run off waste heat. I hope I am making myself clear about this. The hope being for the amount of combined cooling you would get you would save power by having to run less time.
Tom

Hi Tom:)

sorry to butt in:)

Suction return gas is well below ambient temperture.
Discharge gas is about 70 deg c (dependant on gas and operation)

Absorbsion cooling would take a temperature over 100 deg c.

Kind Regards Andy:)

tomrdewac
15-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. Where could i get information on DFA.?
So I need a process that could take 70 deg C. discharge gas and somehow give me a 100 deg C. anything result. Hmmm
Must go to the drawing board on that...
Tom

Andy
15-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. Where could i get information on DFA.?
So I need a process that could take 70 deg C. discharge gas and somehow give me a 100 deg C. anything result. Hmmm
Must go to the drawing board on that...
Tom

A heat pump:) us a cascade condenser (which is the evaporator for a high stage heat pump plant).

The heat pump will upgrade the heat quite efficiently:)

tomrdewac
15-07-2006, 09:48 PM
A heat pump:) us a cascade condenser (which is the evaporator for a high stage heat pump plant).

The heat pump will upgrade the heat quite efficiently:)

Thanks Andy
So has anyone used a A.C. compressor's heat to drive a cascade condenser and use DFA to produce additional cooling?
Tom

US Iceman
15-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Would it be useful to use Direct Fired Absorption air conditioning in conjunction with home central air systems.

I doubt it. The method Andy talked about is one way of doing this. But you also have to look at how much money are spending to save a little?

The lower the input temperature is to an absorber, the less capacity it will have. So, my feeling is you are not gaining very much if anything.

If you want to save money on residential AC, install an evaporative condenser or a much larger air-cooled condenser.

The larger air-cooled condenser is how the manufacturers get the SEER rating up on the units. The higher SEER number means lower energy use.

tomrdewac
16-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi IceMan
I have a 5ton seer 12 unit now, with high humidity and high temps I don't think a evaporative unit would work. I have thought about and have set up a water mister to spray my cooling coil outside to help cool down the compressor/coil. I don't know if this helps or not, seems to me it should. any thoughts on that.
Tom

US Iceman
16-07-2006, 05:53 PM
I have thought about and have set up a water mister to spray my cooling coil outside to help cool down the compressor/coil.

Tom, the use of a mist spray system presents the same limitations as using an evaporative condenser. Both are evaporative processes and dependent on the relative humidity of the outside air.

If the air moisture content is high, the amount of evaporation will be low.

Secondly, if the water is sprayed onto the air-cooled condenser you will eventually see some mineral scale begin to form on the condenser coil.

That will rapidly degrade your system performance and leave you with an expensive repair bill.

tomrdewac
16-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I suppose someone has already used the heat of the coil to pre-heat or heat a hot water tank?
Tom

US Iceman
16-07-2006, 07:02 PM
That idea has some possibilities, but would require extensive re-work of your unit.

Alas, this energy would only be available when the AC unit is operating.