PDA

View Full Version : carrier chiller chaos

bebad
07-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi chaps hope you can help to ID this electromechanical component in the main panel of this 25 year old system, the system was off on control circuit on arrival, switched on lots of smoke/small fire occured. This is a new customer to myself due to previous contractor/service guys bailing out.:confused: The smoke / fire came from this device.

Temprite
07-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Looks like a stepping motor.

Probably used for loading/unloading.

Sir Josiah Sodd
07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
That is a Honeywell stepping motor in a state of some disarray.

It is driven by a built-in 24 volt transformer. When put together properly, the bits on the front are a small balancing relay that drives the two motors and should be positioned on the side, to the right.

Fix that before anything else.

By the looks of it I would say that it is in a 30GA or GB, French made, mid 80’s.

bebad
07-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you Sir Josh, have you come across one lately(are they still in circulation/stock)? if so, prehaps I may well fix all other prob's! :eek: :eek: :eek: 4 out of 6 comps are dissconnected too.Thanks Temprite too.

rbartlett
07-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Thank you Sir Josh, have you come across one lately(are they still in circulation/stock)? if so, prehaps I may well fix all other prob's! :eek: :eek: :eek: 4 out of 6 comps are dissconnected too.Thanks Temprite too.

This has been hashed about so badly it's pretty much beyond repair. esp if 4 out of 6 comps are disconnected.

do't think you will work magic as probably every contractor has thought that before. the company isn't interested in keeping the chiller together before so why think he's going to now??

tell him it's not worth fixing or ask for an open ended P.O and see how far that gets you

cheers

richard

Sir Josiah Sodd
07-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Try to get the model & serial number. The SN should have a date code.

Judging by the gauges it's a 30HR (water-cooled).

Everything's repairable, but it's probably not worth it.
If the comps are shot, you can rebuild them, but it's a performance.

To answer your question - no, I havent seen one of those for 25 odd years.

There used to be hundreds about - a Carrier work-horse if ever there was one.

old gas bottle
07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
i agree with all the comments but they are expensive to replace and sometimes hidden in basements and thats another problem.run the comps one at a time and see if there is gas in them,if thats good you need to check the shell and tube condition,if its gas tight pull the ends off to check its not blocked and servicable,if all thats o/k which i doubt, you can replace the step timer with a more upto date 4 relay timer and pop some delay timers in,best of luck,your gonna need it !!

Brian_UK
07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
The other thing to consider with repair/replacement is - Is it worth it with the incoming gas changes, it is no doubt running on R22; not long left.

rbartlett
07-07-2006, 05:34 PM
In my last company just before my time one of these was retro'ed to 407c -what a complete nightmare for both us and the customer.many many thousands later and the thing was a mare

You're looking at a 25 year old chiller and trying to breathe new life into it. Forget it -whatever the install hassles are they will pale into insignificance when you've changed 4 compressors the whole of the electrics and the thing STILL keeps breaking down.

Tell the customer sometimes you just gotta let go....

Cheers

Richard

The MG Pony
07-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Ya but could it be certified to operate with R-290?

as for the controller use a programed MCU for the unit with some heavy duty TRIACs utilizing a PIC you could replace the whole panel pretty much, and most small custom PIC builders don't charge much at all to make the circuit and program it. I have a friend in NZ who makes MCU systems for all the world wide High way Corps. if interested in that rout I'll talk to him or you can hunt one down local.

bebad
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
;) thanks all for advise/responces. after not much time considering my next step ; Condemned.

Chris Burton
10-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I've replaced quite a few honeywell wheatstone bridge controllers for an 8 stage jbt electronic thermostat, does help if you have wiring diagram though! Takes about 4 days.

bebad
13-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Look at attatchments, what you see i what you get, a whole world of s**t and then some I'd imagine.
Have no diagrams for anything.
Thanks all again though, Paul.:)