PDA

View Full Version : Law Dog

subzero*psia
25-02-2001, 01:26 AM
I did a job for an attorney once. It was an expensive home refrigerator made by Sub Zero (alittle irony there), needed a new compressor, it had already been changed at least once in the past.

Well to make a long story short, this attorney watched every move I made. His kitchen counter and floor probably cost more than my vehicle! I quoted him a cost which included my labor, I figured four hours tops to do the job. Well, first off it was nearly impossible to access the compressor (a top mounted system and the fridge was built into the cabinetry). Then the compressor was not exactly the same (different manufacturer) so piping was an issue not to mention the suction and discharge were reversed and I didn't know it. After evacuation and the initial charge, I started the unit... I immediately knew what I had done. I disconnected did all the right things (was sweating bullets by now). I repiped and started again, well I tried pulling a vacuum. I kept getting a leak and try as I might I couldn't find it for nothing. The attorney was watching me intensley and giving me his expert advice which just made me more nervous because I knew he was losing faith in me and was probably thinking he wouldn't pay me, maybe even try to sue me for lost food or something.

After a few attempts and finally letting myself ignore my observer... I started thinking right. When I had the suction and discharge backwards I had blown my low side pressure gage and the leak was in my gage... not the system. I isolated my gage from the system and was able to pull and hold a vacuum. The job lasted 10 hours in all... I learned a couple of valuable lessons on that job. I was paid what I had originally quoted to him. That system is still running today and his secretary has told me that I would have heard about it if it had failed, but for the first year it was always in the back of my mind.

Steve
04-03-2001, 06:41 PM
Having never worked in the domestic field I can only imagine the torment.

Sounds like a good reason never to venture into as well.

I have done some repairs for (alleged) friends, what a nightmare some of them turned into. Thoughts of glue, ripped Lino and angry dogs come into mind..........shudder.........

subzero*psia
05-03-2001, 05:57 PM
Well, I bought an aftermarket compressor, should have known better for one.

Steve
05-03-2001, 08:48 PM
By aftermarket do you mean secondhand or a rebuild..?

subzero*psia
06-03-2001, 02:55 AM
It was made by a different company as a replacement compressor. I "assumed" the piping configuration was the same... discharge, suction, but it wasn't. I should have checked when I bought. Actually the stub connections were an odd size too, not just one but both. Had it been just one, I would have questioned the stub locations and function.

It was a darn good compressor though... I would definitely buy it again, but now I know alittle more too.