PDA

View Full Version : carlyle 5H120 problems

old gas bottle
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
one for the mature engineer, not had much to do with theese at all ,then get dumped with two seventy,s systems, just had them refurbed but the unloader does not seem to operate on one of them,also getting a nasty suspicious knocking of the other, can a faulty unloader cause the noise on theese being hydrulic, also were they made to use a oil dif switch ! , would appreciate input. cheers.

Andy
06-07-2006, 05:54 PM
one for the mature engineer, not had much to do with theese at all ,then get dumped with two seventy,s systems, just had them refurbed but the unloader does not seem to operate on one of them,also getting a nasty suspicious knocking of the other, can a faulty unloader cause the noise on theese being hydrulic, also were they made to use a oil dif switch ! , would appreciate input. cheers.

I am not old enough to have worked on this when new, but I have worked on them:D

Try the carrier site, it still has the manuals on it:)

Knocking would not normally be associated with loading gear, but small end bearing slap:( (knocking when unloaded)

Oil switches would be normal on all compressors with hydralic loaders, they have an oil pump to activate the loading pistons, usually running at a higher pressure than the shaft oil pressure

Kind Regards Andy:)

US Iceman
06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is a link to the Carlye website for the 5F/5H compressors.
http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,,CLI1_DIV24_ETI1251,00.html

This page also lists the other information that might be helpful. Service bulletins, etc.

This link will take you to the compressor operation manual. The unloader information you are looking for is on page 28 of this manual. There is also some information on checking the unloader operation on page 14. Be sure to check if the correct unloader spring has been used. The correct spring is determined by the refrigerant used in the system.

I think these springs are color coded, but unfortunately I don't remember which color is which spring tension.

http://www.carlylecompressor.com/Files/Carlyle_Compressor/Local/US-en/pdf_files/530-505_5FHStart-up_Install_LOWRES.pdf (5 MB file size)

My first impression of the problem you are describing is related to oil pressure. You mentioned the compressors were just rebuilt. Now one compressor has a "knock" and one has unloading problems. Both of which may be caused by insufficient oil pressure.

The oil pumps have a manually adjustable pressure setting. If this was not properly adjusted upon start-up, the oil pressure may be sufficient to prevent the oil safety switch from tripping. But, the oil pressure may not be high enough to actuate the unloaders. Just one idea for you to consider.

The oil safety switch is different from a unloader control switch. I'm not sure which one you are describing.:confused:

Hope that helps.

old gas bottle
06-07-2006, 07:31 PM
that sounds like what i need to hear chaps, the oil switch is located pulley end but no sign externally of the pump, had that many people playing with it over the years its hard to get your head arround it, but in all honesty i dont know theese compressors so i would sooner ask,i,ll take a look at the websites,thanks.

old gas bottle
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
just a update,had the guys in who rebuilt it back,they had to strip it and renew a rod and bearings as it looked like they had been fitted incorrectly,quite as a mouse now,cheers.