PDA

View Full Version : Air con advice, what to buy?

alpha
04-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi, I'm looking into fitting ac to my house but have very little idea on the make of unit, I look through the suppliers catalogues I have and see toshiba, carrier, daikin amoungst many more.

Now, if I had to choose a transport fridge out of my money I know what I'd spent it on... so, air con guys, if you had to fit ac to your house, what would you fit and why?

Thanks for any pointers..

wizzer
04-07-2006, 07:16 PM
As long as you go for a good brand you should be ok,but make sure it's an inverter.

frank
04-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you really need to ask me my preference? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Andy
04-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Do you really need to ask me my preference? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Toshiba:D :D

Sorry couldn't help myself, Frank seems to favour Daikin, for the life of me I can't think why:p

Kind Regards Andy

Abe
04-07-2006, 08:24 PM
As long as you go for a good brand you should be ok,but make sure it's an inverter.

I would like to know what the benefits of an " invertor" are over the standard types.

The one benefit I do know is that you dont get high start up currents so a normal three pin plug will suffice.

Are there any power savings as such?

Thanks

slingblade
04-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I would like to know what the benefits of an " invertor" are over the standard types.

The one benefit I do know is that you dont get high start up currents so a normal three pin plug will suffice.

Are there any power savings as such?

Thanks

The basic principal is the motor will unload electrically under low load conditions thus saving power.
I once fitted a powerboss unit to a freezer which could save 30% a year according to the bumph that came with it, i was not convinced.

http://www.somars.com/

Thats them, ive just googled it. power inversion units.

LOL. 2nd edit. i find a clean condensor saves more money in the real world.

Abe
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Some of my customers fitted those " power devices" against my advice.

All they got were ruined compressors within a short time

Somehow I felt it were these devices to blame

Brian_UK
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Inverters can also be quieter for domestic use, it helps you sleep better ;)

davej
04-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi alpha,

The Unico system is a good system, bit of abitch to install but very quiet and not the draughts associated with splits although it will come down to price and single splits will be cheaper, but you ought to go for inverter unit if you can. Daikin are having a push of their splits in the USA arnt they

gwilliamson
04-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi, I'm looking into fitting ac to my house but have very little idea on the make of unit, I look through the suppliers catalogues I have and see toshiba, carrier, daikin amoungst many more.

Now, if I had to choose a transport fridge out of my money I know what I'd spent it on... so, air con guys, if you had to fit ac to your house, what would you fit and why?

Cant go far wrong from Toshiba or Mitsubishi. Good Quality & price. Cheaper than Daikin and has a good warranty.

mick2me
05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Having done much research on this, I plumped for an inverter model. Originally, I was going for the Misubishi as being a good mid priced unit.

The one I was going for (SRK--ZD inverter) is shown here... http://www.3dair.co.uk/download-files/06-09-2005/SRK WALL MOUNTED LEAFLET.pdf WALL MOUNTED LEAFLET.pdf

I ended up getting a good deal on a Daikin inverter, some here will say a better unit?

When installed thats the lounge sorted. The next job will be bedroom, Might be back to the Mitsi Inverter for that project... Easier on the old wallet.

Keep us updated on the project.

racs
08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
would you not have been better off going fora multisplit?

http://www.ryanairconspares.com/index.php/cPath/75_286_296

DEVIL
09-07-2006, 11:31 AM
everibody has it's favorit's (me daikin) but there are a lot of other good inverter models, the problem with Daikin is the price, but the qualiti is the best, but in the last period of time the prices are going down, so it's a good choice

Toolman
09-07-2006, 03:33 PM

In Aussieland we are dealing with some nasty ambient temperatures in the summer ( 38C to 40C in the shade is normal ) and the Daikin units seem to handle it well . Fujitsu is another good choice
I always quote and sell DAIKIN & FUJITSU - in Aussie :D they have a 5 year warranty on domestic & 1 year on the larger commercial jobs we do . Once install "correctly" you dont have touch them again & thats got to be good. ;)

frank
09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
The next job will be bedroom

Hi Mick

I've got some Hitachi inverter heat pump wall units in stock. Might be able to do you a good deal ;)

mick2me
09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
would you not have been better off going fora multisplit?

http://www.ryanairconspares.com/index.php/cPath/75_286_296

Cant see a price for that one.

But I did get the Daikin Single inverter for a good price.:D

fruit656
09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
lg inverter's are the way forward they are very quiet at night,

mick2me
09-07-2006, 10:25 PM
lg inverter's are the way forward they are very quiet at night,

Don't LG not suffer from the 'Budget price' stigma.

Their TV's etc are always the cheapest.

Whats their A/C like?

Brian_UK
09-07-2006, 10:25 PM
LG inverter's are the way forward they are very quiet at night,Is that because it's broken down ??:rolleyes:

Brian_UK
09-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't LG not suffer from the 'Budget price' stigma.

Their TV's etc are always the cheapest.

Whats their A/C like?Check ANY Air Conditioning thread here with LG in the title; you won't buy one.;)

mick2me
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Is that because it's broken down ??:rolleyes:

:D

Check ANY Air Conditioning thread here with LG in the title; you won't buy one.;)

Just as I suspected, thanks.