PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration "Closed Shop"

mick2me
01-07-2006, 11:31 PM
You will see from another thread that I am fitting a Daikin Inverter. And am planning to get a qualified engineer to deal with final pipe connections, vaccing down releasing gas and commissioning the units. Now I must say I have been impressed with the assistance given to me by the members of this forum.

But I feel obliged to post re my first contact with an Air conditioning engineer who I came across by chance whilst working at a premises nearby. (I have to say this was not in Nottingham)

Hello I am fitting a Split Unit and am looking for some parts. (first assistant leaves the counter, and another one comes in to serve me)

Can I help you?

I repeat the question...

Your fitting one of them B&Q jobs?

No something better quality than that
(Thinks - would I need to be here if it was a B&Q unit)

What are you looking for?

First brackets for the outside units.

About £45 +vat

What about Pipes,

What sizes?

XXmm and XXmm

We only do Imperial.

Will that do the job?

Look its not as easy as that, you have to flare the joints!

I know.

And you need insulation

I know (Thinks - That was my next question) How much for the pipe?

Er o' thirty quid or so, (plus vat)
Looks at me with some suspicion...

Look I am a qualified electrician, I am doing the electrical and heavy work and am going to get a fridge engineer to do the gas side.

Well we wont do it. The problem is lots of people are buying these units off the internet... We cant give a warrenty for self fitted units...

I'm not expecting a warrenty, I just need an engineer who can do the gas side.

Well you wont get one, No one will do it,
"It's a bit of a closed shop you see"

Thanks for your help.

Your welcome...

Senses I am wasting my time here, and leaves.
Good job I never mentioned the dead parrot!

Now I am the first person to be critical of unqualifed or non competant persons carrying out work.

Tell me, is this typical of Refrigeration Engineers?

forry
02-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Would you let somebody begin an electrical installation and then have you come and finish the technical bits? I strongly suspect not.

mick2me
02-07-2006, 08:41 AM
If someone wanted to do the rough work, banging holes in walls, chasing out cable runs etc. which is the time consuming and semi skilled part of the job, I would be quite happy with that, where I was easily be able to check the work that they had done. Not a problem.

In fact I wish over the years that I could have had someone to do that, and just connect into mains board, Thank you verry much :D

However I usually got that dubious honor as an Apprentice!:(

Mickvee
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
As a frigde man myself I have done many final fix for people how have done the heavy work. When I go to some homes in which thay have done the fitting I know I would not get the blame for the mess or damage made and clean up afterwards, neighbours complain about the look and noise of outdoor unit. I can walk away no problem.:D

mick2me
02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Good point.
I have a particularly awkward run for the pipes/cable and drain.

Through the outer wall in an old house (flemmish bond brickwork), under floor level, up through the floor, up and through the interior wall into the back of the interior unit.

Andy W
02-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I have installed many "e bay" bargains for customers, they hang the kit, put the 70mm hole through the wall, site the outside unit, I will pipe and wire it even if you supply the materials and I will vac and commission it, now if it does not work when i switch it on I still want paying, there is no warranty implied or given and the price I say is the price you pay with no haggling.

mick2me
02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks Andy.

As long as the customer is aware of those terms, That seems reasonable to me.

And just how many Ebay Bargains failed to start?

Mickvee
02-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I was at a persons home recently where he fitted a ebay unit, and the outdoor unit was R22 and the indoor was R407C, I got paid to come out anyway.:)

mick2me
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM
So you guys will, if not already done so, build up some knowledge on the quality of various units available to buy direct. And know which ones to avoid.

I actually bought my Daikin units from a contractor
who had fitted lots at a large site, and bought his at cost for a remote utility room, but was unable to fit due to power supply not being adequate. Its brand new, never fitted. I wont get a warranty with it anyway for that reason.

frank
02-07-2006, 06:36 PM
I have a particularly awkward run for the pipes/cable and drain.
Be careful you don't kink the pipes when you bend them. Might be safer if you bought a 3/8 spring. Small cost now could save some grief ;)

mick2me
02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks Frank

Cheaper than a pipe bender?
Will that size do both sizes of pipe?

frank
02-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Just get the 3/8th. You won't need one for the 1/4 - just be careful with it, no sharp bends less than 50mm radius. Pick a spring up from Climate Centre on Nuthall Road or RPW bottom of Carlton Road or United Refrigeration on Piccadilly Road in Bulwell - whichever one is nearest to you.

You can also pick up Inoac trunking from them to put your pipes in

The MG Pony
03-07-2006, 11:47 PM
lol a proper pipe bender was the first thing I bought, a 1/4 spring unit and a 1/4 to 3/8 solid job for it all, never regretted it ;) :D

mick2me
04-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks for that Frank

I am Long Eaton

Do they supply tube and insulation by any chance?

frank
04-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks for that Frank

I am Long Eaton

Do they supply tube and insulation by any chance?
Yes they do but I don't know if they will sell to you as you are not trade - I don't know what their policy is.

mick2me
04-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I can get it Ryanair, Mailorder anyway :D
(ad on this site),
but would prefer pickup if possible.:confused: