PDA

View Full Version : which unit do i need??

acgibo
27-06-2006, 07:09 PM
hello all, can anyone tell me what size unit i would need to cool, and heat, my conservatory?
it is south facing and measures 10'6 x 10'6 ????

thanks

Peter_1
27-06-2006, 08:09 PM
May I ask to remove all your double posts please?

acgibo
27-06-2006, 08:34 PM
sorry,frank did delete some of them, first time on and didnt realise it could be seen everywhere by posting in one forum. and wasnt sure where to put it !!!!!!

frank
27-06-2006, 08:37 PM
No problem acgibo - thank you for your response :)

Enjoy the forum

davej
27-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi can i ask what peter meant, im a bit new to this

Peter_1
27-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Well Davej, you posted the same question in different sections and the chance that someone answers then you question is nil.

We take mostly an average load of 100 to 125 W/m².(32 to 40 BTU/ft².h), air change min 4 to 5 times the space volume.
If the units needs also to heat the building, then a well isolated building needs +/- 50 W/m³ (171 BTU/h/35 ft³)
Hope I didn't converted the wrong way.

What are SI units so much more comfortable:p :D

In fact, I even didn't understand the 10'6
10' is for us 10 minutes.

frank
27-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi can i ask what peter meant, im a bit new to this

Hi Dave

On the forum there are lots of different areas to post, Refrigeration, Air Conditioning, Technical, Ye Old Wives Tales etc.

When posting a question, it is better to chose the appropriate section for your question.

Some new posters choose the wrong section or think that it is a good idea to 'multiple' post in all the sections.

For long serving members, this can be annoying, seeing the same post over and over again.

What Peter was asking was for the 'multiple' posts to be deleted as they do not serve any extra function other than to annoy members.

Careful, polite and respecful posts normally generate the most response. :)

Also, new posters should remember that we all have daytime jobs so answers may take some time and are not always immediate.

acgibo
27-06-2006, 09:42 PM
thanks frank and peter, do not mean to be rude BUT, you need to check who messages are from, scroll up and you will someone called davej joined the thread !!!! thanks for your advice on using the service though, i will try to be polite, respectfull and careful. and further, if more info is needed to answer my original request i would be more then happy to answer any questions ;-)

acgibo
27-06-2006, 09:50 PM
AH RIGHT PETER, Sorry. 10'6 should have read 10foot 6 inches by ten foot 6 inches- inside measurements of conservatory. so could you go further with your calculations and try to give me a rating for unit needed PLEASE ;-)

frank
27-06-2006, 10:02 PM
if more info is needed to answer my original request i would be more then happy to answer any questions ;-)

acgibo

To determine the actual heat gain - and therefore matching cooling load you would need to provide precise details of the construction materials U values, glass ratio, glass type, roof construction, UK location, elevation, shading, blinds, colour, aspect, etc.

Without this precise information we can only advise on a 'Rule of Thumb' calculation. Peter has proposed 125w/m2 whereas I would increase this to 200w/m2 to be confident of matching south facing, PVc construction conservatory heat gains. So for a floor area of 3.2 x 3.2m (10.24m2) x 200w/m2 you would need 2.048kw of cooling.

Please remember that this is only a guide and a full calculation should be carried out before selecting suitable equipment.

acgibo
27-06-2006, 10:30 PM
cheers Frank, all those factors considered it looks like i would be better getting s.one in eh !!!!

thanks a lot, i will check the forums regularly coz it looks very useful.
take it easy

Dave

frank
27-06-2006, 10:42 PM
cheers Frank, all those factors considered it looks like i would be better getting s.one in eh !!!

At least then you would have someone other than yourself to blame if it doesn't work :p :D

Andy W
07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I work on m3 x 90 watts for my rule of thumb.